Fully balanced amplification system?

We all start somewhere
gdog
User

#1 Fully balanced amplification system?

Post by gdog »

Is it possible to implement a fully balanced amplification system -where the cartridge output is split in half with a potential divider and all subsequent stages are singled ended only meeting as push-pull in the final output transformer? Is this a bad idea? If so why?
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: Fully balanced amplification system?

Post by Nick »

Its possible, a cartridge is inherently balanced anyway if both outputs are floating. It would be normal though to let each stage retain the balance by seeing the other half as a long tailed pair.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
gdog
User

#3 Re: Fully balanced amplification system?

Post by gdog »

Interesting, reading this forum I see that transformers are a little out of vogue :D , but do you think its possible that such a topology could have the strengths of a SET but with the power and range of a good PP? Better for example than a parallel SE output stage?
gdog
User

#4 Re: Fully balanced amplification system?

Post by gdog »

I suppose really the LTP is a phase inverter so in essence which every way you cut it this is a PP design
Nick
Site Admin

#5 Re: Fully balanced amplification system?

Post by Nick »

Well, a LTP can be used as a phase splitter, but if fed with a balanced signal, its just a balanced amplifier.
but do you think its possible that such a topology could have the strengths of a SET but with the power and range of a good PP? Better for example than a parallel SE output stage?
Maybe, but without being awkward, you may have to say what you view strengths and weaknesses of single ended and push pull, as I find its never as clear as once I would have thought.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#6 Re: Fully balanced amplification system?

Post by izzy wizzy »

Nick wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:50 pm Maybe, but without being awkward, you may have to say what you view strengths and weaknesses of single ended and push pull, as I find its never as clear as once I would have thought.
For sure. So much material and detail to be mined from such a simple statement.

Cheers,
Stephen
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: Fully balanced amplification system?

Post by IslandPink »

Best PP amp I ever heard was Gary Pimm's Tabor amp with the 1624 valves. That was IDHP > DHP push-pull with direct coupling & stacked power supplies. Stunning speed, transparency and great tonal colour.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
gdog
User

#8 Re: Fully balanced amplification system?

Post by gdog »

I have a rather limited experience of different amplifiers. I am not a constant tweaker, rather I am seeking an end-state system, which is good enough for me to forget about.

Currently I have a WD phono and KT88 amplifier sitting between my newly acquired 401 and my Tannoy Kensingtons. The speakers and the turntable are done, they are simply everything I will ever want. My digital is also done.

I do think that the amplifier could eventually be replaced however, I’m just not sure with what I can either build or acquire. I am musing over the various topologies; I had a SET in my system once and like all the expectations it had a wonderful detail mid-range with instruments and voices floating in the air but didn’t really have low end control. I listen to a wide variety of music including big orchestras which means that bottom end detail and drive are essential characteristics for any candidate amplifier.
steve s
Shed dweller

#9 Re: Fully balanced amplification system?

Post by steve s »

gdog wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:54 pm I had a SET in my system once and like all the expectations it had a wonderful detail mid-range with instruments and voices floating in the air but didn’t really have low end control. I listen to a wide variety of music including big orchestras which means that bottom end detail and drive are essential characteristics for any candidate amplifier.
You had the wrong single ended amp .

In the nineties a local hifi shop let me take home 3 or 4 single ended amps
Most where rejected on account of the bass performance. I eventually bought a 'simply 845' amp. But that lasted only a few months in my system due to the heat/ 1000volts/ poor sound
I think my system plays everything now... 5 watts se and 100+db speakers.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number