Biasing question - totem-pole OTL

We all start somewhere
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#1 Biasing question - totem-pole OTL

Post by Thermionic Idler »

Denizens of AT...

I've reached the stage on my Beast build where I have to connect up the biasing pot. And I'm trying to figure out which way around to hook it up.

In principle it's straightforward - connect the wiper and one end together to ground, and the other end to the marked point on the PCB (which is as much guidance as the documentation gives). However, when biasing the amp, I want to ensure that a clockwise rotation leads to an increase in the DC voltage across the speaker terminals (so - to +). So I know that if the voltmeter reads too negative, I need to turn clockwise to correct it.

To get things the right way around so that it behaves in this way, I need to sanity check my understanding of the output stage.

I can't publish the actual circuit as it's copyrighted, but for the purposes of my question, the output stage can be considered to be the same as this published Glass Audio circuit:

The A- Bias voltage (on the positive bank) is varied to get as close to 0v DC at the speaker. It's usually set to about -45V.

Now, if my understanding is correct, if A- Bias is brought more positive, towards zero, say to -40V, this will lead to a more positive DC voltage between speaker hot and ground. Similar to the way a cathode follower works.

I think I'm right but I just want to check this. Many thanks in advance.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: Biasing question - totem-pole OTL

Post by Nick »

Yes the a bank are cathode followers so the voltage on the cathode will follow the bias voltage.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#3 Re: Biasing question - totem-pole OTL

Post by Thermionic Idler »

Thanks Nick!
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Biasing question - totem-pole OTL

Post by Mike H »

8)

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."