833A (GU-48) Amp

What people are working on at the moment
Greg
Social outcast

#1216 Re: 833A (GU-48) Amp

Post by Greg »

I was going to use a couple of these high voltage multi pin connectors when contemplating a modular build. Hunt around and you’ll find connectors of this type with different numbers of pins, up to about 27 IIRC.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Military-14- ... xyB0VRxBuM

EDIT. I see on the same page, 65 pin connectors are available :shock:
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#1217 Re: 833A (GU-48) Amp

Post by Paul Barker »

Thanks Izzy,

Phil and me.both will have heavy power supplies so b+ has to travel,
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1218 Re: 833A (GU-48) Amp

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:15 pm Just out of interest, I managed to get the completed unit on the bathroom scales.

27KG.
Flippinus Eckus ... :shock:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1219 Re: 833A (GU-48) Amp

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:08 am
pre65 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:15 pm Just out of interest, I managed to get the completed unit on the bathroom scales.

27KG.
Flippinus Eckus ... :shock:
My name is Brian, and so is ------------. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1220 Re: 833A (GU-48) Amp

Post by pre65 »

I tried an experiment with the filament heater supply, to try and remove the two dropping resistors, big heatsink and two capacitors.

With the SMPS turned down to minimum, and just the filament choke and filament in circuit, the least volts I can get is 10.7v.

One data sheet I looked at said 10v +/- 5% which is 0.5v, so a bit over. So I could parallel the two existing 1R 100w resistors and lose 0.5v which should bring it down to 10.2v. Safe enough ?

Edmund Burke

andrew Ivimey

#1221 Re: 833A (GU-48) Amp

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Safe enough!? The whole amp is a potential lethal disaster area. Dont worry about the tiny percentages. What is point!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1222 Re: 833A (GU-48) Amp

Post by pre65 »

I thought my brain was playing up earlier, but just realised the dropper resistors were not 1R, but R1, which makes my empirical experience understandable. :oops:

Edmund Burke

andrew Ivimey

#1223 Re: 833A (GU-48) Amp

Post by andrew Ivimey »

And you still want to go ahead....?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1224 Re: 833A (GU-48) Amp

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:37 pm And you still want to go ahead....?
Of course dear boy, why ever not ?

It might seem to others that building, and refining such a monster is madness, but it will be the pinnacle of my audio hobby and then I can sit back and say, yes, I did it. :D

Edmund Burke

rowuk
Old Hand

#1225 Re: 833A (GU-48) Amp

Post by rowuk »

pre65 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:03 am
andrew Ivimey wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:37 pm And you still want to go ahead....?
Of course dear boy, why ever not ?

It might seem to others that building, and refining such a monster is madness, but it will be the pinnacle of my audio hobby and then I can sit back and say, yes, I did it. :D
Or be laid to rest as one undaunted...
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
Boiss
User

#1226 Re: 833A (GU-48) Amp

Post by Boiss »

pre65 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:13 am This is an old picture from years ago when I built the first iteration, but it shows what the GU48 looks like lit up. :)

Mine mounted on a Teflon Base with movable solid brass sections to allow for expansion, while checking a computer SMPS modded for 10V
833Apowered s.jpg
833Apowered s.jpg (179.06 KiB) Viewed 9140 times
Paul Barker

#1227 Re: 833A (GU-48) Amp

Post by Paul Barker »

I very much like the sound of the 833a at low power. First time Darren (a former member, whose status Im not sure about) and I heard it in his sitting room. You can’t go wrong with it doesnt have to be a super power amp. Its good as low powered amp Effortlessy. Costly to run dangerous and too weather too hot.

I still have the last output stage which Nick brought the driver for when we played it at Owston. Tribute transformers I had made for the 4212. I might dust it off one day. The sound of that valve is worthy. Darren and I were that eccited it was the Monday after a weekend in Wales, we rang Island Pink (Mark) “youve got to come and listen to this!” Unfortunately he had to go to work I think, hes a clever person in his field of work, and brings his kind of mind to this field. But his job is very responsible so unlike me and Darren he couldnt drop everything and play for another day. That moment though was a great lasting memory.

No harm in another 833a (or equivalent) amp in our midst.

Are you likely to come to Owston where we meet up once or twice a year?
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1228 Re: 833A (GU-48) Amp

Post by pre65 »

Well folks, it seems my interest in these 833a amps is starting to gain momentum again.

Both monoblocks are in a state of unfinished alteration, so I need to carefully check what's what and decide how to progress.

I think, for now, I'm going to go back to the last working iteration, with my KT66 SET amp driving the 833 grid through an interstage, but go with the increased HT using the custom toroids I had made.

I did also (some time ago) get some Russian filament chokes for the filaments and got as far as testing the filament voltage, which were fine with a bit of adjustment to the 12v 30A SMPS.(that was Sept 2020, how time flies)

Watch this space. :lol:

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1229 Re: 833A (GU-48) Amp

Post by pre65 »

The 193Q choke I was going to use in the power supply has a max rating of 1000v. On the data sheet there is no mention of what voltage they use to test insulation, so that causes a problem.

Tomorrow (or later today now) I'll fire up PSUD-2 and play with different scenarios of rectification, capacitors and resistors.

For many reasons I'd like to stick with the 6D22s hybrid bridge, but there are other options. And I've still got a new pair of huge Hammond mains transformers and U19 rectifiers to go with if necessary.

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

#1230 Re: 833A (GU-48) Amp

Post by Nick »

U19 are great. But make sure to read ALL the spec. They are intended for choke input of course at those voltages and the time they are from. Mv's are in many ways a better choice.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.