The Other 13E1 SE-OTL

What people are working on at the moment
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#196 Re: The Other 13E1 SE-OTL

Post by Paul Barker »

Ray P wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:09 am

It's a keeper so it's time to move/retire the 300Bs and start exploring feedback and current tweaking (the 300Bs are currently on the floor in front of the rack so reduced to 'being in the way'!).
My suggestion for whta to do with 300bottles which are cluttering you’re act: Offer them to the local schule for the next Jewish Wedding. Sorry if spelled Schule wrong i wanted to make it look how a Jew says it so gentiles didn’t think I was talking about a Natinal Curriculum establshment.Anyway, that’s how the reformed Jews in London speak of the place we gentiles would call a Synogogue, but Jews call a schule! I did a lot of work among that community when I was a photographer.Never heard the word Synogogue spoken.

I tel you what though, the glass breaking element of the Jewish wedding is fun, I think most of the Jews I did work for were the kind who really let go when celebrating.It’s likeliving inside the film Fiddler on the Roof! Happiness expressed through dance is something we’ve lost. as is such a strong community/cultural expresson and bond. Somehow weve lost that.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#197 Re: The Other 13E1 SE-OTL

Post by Paul Barker »

I’m glad the referencing heaters straightened you out.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#198 Re: The Other 13E1 SE-OTL

Post by Paul Barker »

if its that good youre selling yourslf cheap (saying that it cost you 900 or whatever it was... never mention that again! it puts a value on what youve done which is much too cheap for what it does, for youre skills and for the market for quality that you have placed a glass ceiling to in youre expectations. Put it on youre website for €2,500! and offer delivery set up service for €150. The people with the money who want a good sound at home would pay you that and more for the skills knowledge and achievability of youre package. That means you as a person Anth asmuch as naything. You as a person in this competetive audio market are punching below youre weight class.

You are valued by youre price. If you dont put youre value where it should be noone else will. You dont want to sell anything cheap, as soon as you do you’re re valuing yourself as cheap.

Youre best bet in the crowded world of audio retail grossly cheapened in this century by international market changes, is to make nothing that isn’t head and sholders above the crowd! But you have to anounce it’s value by pricing it where it deserves to sit! Thats why I offered you the loan of my 301 deck, you have to make the best of the best better with youre added value and show the world.

I hope to have conveyed to you Anth that youre skills add value and to the person who sees in what you do an achievement he would love at home but has proved a failure, that man will pay for a fix it man. Instead of a pproaching a sale on the basis of cost approach it on the basis of pricing what you have added which others cant achieve. Depending on the person deciding to buy, you will be amaised how the orders will flow in.

And don’t forget the presently unpopular Winston Churchil’s address to a US University students gathering. He stood at the podium looked long and hard at them and said “never give up” they were his opening words his words throughout, and his final words. Never give up, was all he said that day, it’s all you need to take away.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#199 Re: The Other 13E1 SE-OTL

Post by Ray P »

Paul Barker wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:50 pm Happiness expressed through dance is something we’ve lost. as is such a strong community/cultural expresson and bond. Somehow weve lost that.
I think a lot of that is to do with what they've been through...

Anyway, I don;t think donating them as you suggest will be at the top of my list of what to do with the 300Bs :lol:
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ray P

#200 Re: The Other 13E1 SE-OTL

Post by Ray P »

Paul Barker wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:07 pm I’m glad the referencing heaters straightened you out.
Yes, thanks Paul, silly omission that I'll put down to the anticipation of the moment.
Paul Barker

#201 Re: The Other 13E1 SE-OTL

Post by Paul Barker »

It’s not always featured in schematics but the author thinks hes communicating with people who are at the level the beedin obvious to the mature reader needs pointing out to the novice. I suppose it hails back to the days when everyone would tell the novices to strat by reading rdh as an introduction These das people first turn to google and rdh fades away.
Greg
Social outcast

#202 Re: The Other 13E1 SE-OTL

Post by Greg »

The room was very crowded at Owston when you demo’d your 300B amp. If it is, as you suggest, excess to requirements, I’d offer it for sale here first and certainly before you dismantle it. I thought it had a gob smacking sound as did many others who heard it. I know DIYers are cheap scapes, but you never know who will pick up on it. Also, a well constructed advert on eBay will probably do you very well. I emphasise, ‘well constructed advert’. Achieve that quality advert for an auction and you could be very pleasantly surprised at the outcome.
Paul Barker

#203 Re: The Other 13E1 SE-OTL

Post by Paul Barker »

That’s a good recommendation.
Ray P

#204 Re: The Other 13E1 SE-OTL

Post by Ray P »

Cheers Greg it's something I've already considered. TBH, I would prefer to pass them on to a 'friend' here for a lesser amount than to put myself through an ebay auction with all the potential for time-wasters and subsequent issues but, that said, I'm not going to rush into a decision and before anything I will put them back into the system at some point for a 'sanity check'. Ultimately though I can't justify keeping everything I've built.

No promises at this stage but if anyone might be interested I'm happy to exchange PMs on the subject as it'll help shape my thinking.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#205 Re: The Other 13E1 SE-OTL

Post by Ali Tait »

Yes please, give me a shout when you decide Ray.
Ray P

#206 Re: The Other 13E1 SE-OTL

Post by Ray P »

Inspired by Ant's turntable power supply, today I received a nice olive wood chopping board that'll be repurposed as a front panel for the 13E1 amp. Probbly enough spare to make a headphone stand as well.

Ant
Shed dweller

#207 Re: The Other 13E1 SE-OTL

Post by Ant »

That's a nice bit of wood, daft thing is, that a piece like that from a hardwood supplier is properly silly money
Those boards are already thicknessed to 20mm so it's one less process to have to do to the blank, you can just select the area you want on display and cut it accordingly.
Hardwood prices can be utterly crackers. It's understandable with stuff that is a protected species, that's completely fine, but olive isn't protected, it's the figuring that makes it usually cost a fortune. Like birds eye maple for example, it's not that rare but it's utterly daft money if you want a relatively big bit
I was abit lucky fi ding these, it was the wife who put me onto the firm who does these, she was browsing ebay and pointed them out
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Paul Barker

#208 Re: The Other 13E1 SE-OTL

Post by Paul Barker »

Ray P wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:20 pm Inspired by Ant's turntable power supply, today I received a nice olive wood chopping board that'll be repurposed as a front panel for the 13E1 amp. Probbly enough spare to make a headphone stand as well.

Beautiful
Paul Barker

#209 Re: The Other 13E1 SE-OTL

Post by Paul Barker »

Ant wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:43 pm That's a nice bit of wood, daft thing is, that a piece like that from a hardwood supplier is properly silly money
Those boards are already thicknessed to 20mm so it's one less process to have to do to the blank, you can just select the area you want on display and cut it accordingly.
Hardwood prices can be utterly crackers. It's understandable with stuff that is a protected species, that's completely fine, but olive isn't protected, it's the figuring that makes it usually cost a fortune. Like birds eye maple for example, it's not that rare but it's utterly daft money if you want a relatively big bit
I was abit lucky fi ding these, it was the wife who put me onto the firm who does these, she was browsing ebay and pointed them out
Nice
Ray P

#210 Re: The Other 13E1 SE-OTL

Post by Ray P »

Yes Ant, it's got some nice figuring and I've already checked that I can get a nice panel out of it; for £25 it's a bargain, as you say.

I might even get another one to use as a cutting board!