Any Fall fans ?

Share the music that moves you.......
IslandPink
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 Any Fall fans ?

Post by IslandPink »

This will be interesting to check, on this forum . I supect I'm in a minority, but may be wrong .
How many will come out of the woodwork ?

Below, some of my favourite things :
Attachments
the fall grotesque.jpg
thefall-slates_LRG.jpg
Perverted_by_Language.jpg
"Peridots and periwinkle, blue medallions Gilded galleons spilled across the ocean floor" ( Mitchell )
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Don't know much of their stuff. Saw and enjoyed them a couple of times in the early 80's
Resistance isn't futile it's V / I.
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

Like some but not all. Recently acquired all of their Peel Sessions, very much a mixed bag. The Fall's music could be likened to shifting sands and with Mark E Smith's very non-democratic band policy and the constant coming and going of musicians, that's no surprise really.

I saw them support The Magic Band at the Royal Festival Hall, must have been around '04 or '05 and I thought they were very good.

I have a 12" promo of 'Telephone Thing', several mixes, which I like a lot.

And that's my sum knowledge of the band.
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
IslandPink

Post by IslandPink »

I think the period represented above in those albums has got to be my favourite, but I haven't taken the time to get enough of the 90's albums .

I hadn't played much Fall recently , then I had out a video from Lovefilm, the other week : 'The Fall live at the Hacienda' which had some superb footage from 1983 / 1984 .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTJdWN6B ... re=related
"Peridots and periwinkle, blue medallions Gilded galleons spilled across the ocean floor" ( Mitchell )
IDM
Old Hand

Post by IDM »

I was a fan when I was at University in the early 80's. Though listening now I get on less well, my tastes have clearly mellowed. I liked the albums you linked and also Live at the witch trials.

I saw them several times. Most memorable was a miners benefit where they were supported by several colliery bands!

Cheers
Ian
IslandPink

Post by IslandPink »

I wish I'd seen them then , like most things I like, I was too late !
( though I could have seen a few things while at Leeds in the mid-80's ) .

Must have been entertaining to see the Fall live, though disappointing at times, I expect . Brix playing the guitar is an acquired taste .
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I (just about) remember seeing them at the third or fourth Deeply Vale festive, the one that didn't take place at the original site, and we were all moved to a quarry in the middle of the moors. Good fun though, and lots of rocks to clime over :-)
Resistance isn't futile it's V / I.
IslandPink

Post by IslandPink »

Just bought 'Hex Induction Hour' on CD ( LP later hopefully ) . I must say I do like 'Who makes the Nazi's ? ' very much . I always think he carried the torch of Beefheart , musically .
IslandPink

#9 Re: Any Fall fans ?

Post by IslandPink »

50,000 Fall fan's can't be wrong
Excellent collection - highly recommended, bought this in an idle moment in Warrington while helping out my mum shopping. Just underlines what a significant band this has been. Rest in peace John, sorry you can't hear the next Fall LP !
IslandPink

#10 Re: Any Fall fans ?

Post by IslandPink »

I can't get over how good the percussion sounds on 'How I wrote elastic man' and 'Rowche Rumble' ....
IslandPink

#11 Re: Any Fall fans ?

Post by IslandPink »

Keep listening to this one on Youtube. Must get the CD .
There seem to be one or two really good tracks on every one of the later albums from what I can tell.
IslandPink

#12 Re: Any Fall fans ?

Post by IslandPink »

Another late gem :