Yay! New toy

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Tony Moore
Old Hand

#31 Re: Yay! New toy

Post by Tony Moore »

The last of the components came from Ali Express. 8)

Lash up just to test whether the I2S would be compatible:

Apart from one capacitor popping due to incorrect polarity and an issue with the bias on the I/V stage it sounds totally amazing. Blows the socks right off the AKM, just so much more dynamic and containing extra detail. A lovely sound. And in one channel only so far. I just need to build the rest of the boards and wire everything up properly and I think I'm going to be very happy! :P
Greg
Shed dweller

#32 Re: Yay! New toy

Post by Greg »

Nice work, Tony. Looking good and great you are happy with the sound.
Tony Moore
Old Hand

#33 Re: Yay! New toy

Post by Tony Moore »

Thanks Greg! It's just like old times for me. Stop me if you see any "mad box" of motor run caps appearing! :lol:
Tony Moore
Old Hand

#34 Re: Yay! New toy

Post by Tony Moore »

Final result coming soon...

This project is still ongoing. A few trials and tribulations along the way - it wouldn't be a fun hobby unless there were challenges, eh?

I found an interesting fault that I believe I have now diagnosed and have a fix for: the Logitech Transporter designers, in their wisdom used the non-I2S compatible mode for the AKM DAC, hence the data bits are offset by one bit position. All is well (seemingly) with the signal digitally attenuated but hit the top 2 bits and the game is up! So now I need logic to delay the data by 1 bit and it _should_ be good. I'll prototype on breadboard and then if it works, I'll get a new PCB made.

Other than that, all the other modules are built and tested and awaiting this last wrinkle to be ironed out and then I can fully assemble.

Considering that the DAC is running on an attenuated 14 bit signal and on mostly shared bench power supplies it sounds surprisingly good. There is something just a lot more exciting and realistic about the sound compared to the AKM. The AKM sounds fine, provided you don't do direct comparisons but when you do you realize just how much excitement has been lost. I've heard the term "veils" and it sort of fits. A "boring veil", if you will...

Who knows, when it's done and I take it to a meetup, it might sound like sh*te. :shock: