A unipivot made from scrap

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
IslandPink
Social Sevices have been notified

#256 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by IslandPink »

It would look cool, but given the HF bias of the energy coming out of a cartridge ( pre de-emphasis ) , and glass not being damped, it seems unlikely to be successful to me.
"Peridots and periwinkle, blue medallions Gilded galleons spilled across the ocean floor" ( Mitchell )
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#257 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by izzy wizzy »

Ant wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:32 pm A diversion, found some glass drinking straws while i was looking for the arm board insert materials. 300mm long.
I bought them because they were cheap, anyone know of an arm with a glass arm tube? Ever been done? Or just a silly idea.... :mrgreen:

I shouldnt be allowed out....
I made an arm with a glass tube but that was 40 years ago. It was a unipivot. I did better later with gimbal designs but that was my first forays into DIY armery. You're way more experienced than I was back then. It has some good properties like stiffness but relative to other materials vs weight?

Re the arm rest. The SME 3009 arm rest with its wire flip over lock looks doable and doesn't need flexi materials.
IslandPink
Social Sevices have been notified

#258 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by IslandPink »

While I was out for a walk on the hills it occurred to me that a perspex tube, a bit bigger than a typical metal one, might be an interesting choice, given its very good HF damping properties.
"Peridots and periwinkle, blue medallions Gilded galleons spilled across the ocean floor" ( Mitchell )
Ant
Needs to get out more

#259 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by Ant »

Well the deck and arm has been with our simon for a couple of weeks, i needed a second opinion on it, so asked simon to take it and put it in a completely different system to see if i was being overly critical, or the balance is off as i think it is.

It is.

and simons feedback on it has been very helpful, firstly in confirming that i am hearing what i think i am, and that in the context of a completely different system the characteristics are the same

And secondly that the potential for better if i can rework the balance of its sound is there.

So thanks go to simon, an orange juice at the next meet up is on me

Onwards!
Hey, wait, I got a new complaint
Forever in debt to your priceless advice

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
simon
Eternally single

#260 Re: A unipivot made from scrap

Post by simon »

It's a really interesting arm I must say. I had to turn the bass amps down quite a bit and turn the tweeter amps up a smidge to get the balance right, but once I did the sound snapped in to place. The bass is immense, fantastic grip and control, and really deep. Overall I felt it perhaps tended towards being analytical rather than emotional to use some arguably meaningless words. Perhaps like the difference between SE and PP - neither is right or wrong.

I don't have heaps of experience with lots of tonearm, and of course the whole TT is different from what I'm used to, but this is perhaps the best arm I've heard, balance aside. It really sounded that good.