Forget Cube speaker Drivers .........is this the future?

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#1 Forget Cube speaker Drivers .........is this the future?

Post by vinylnvalves »

Interesting to see that some engineering has gone into the design of this speaker driver. On paper it seems to meet all the requirements for a midrange/full range driver. :wink:
https://www.purifi-audio.com/transducers/
Would be interesting to see its any better than the Fostex extended range drivers, obviously aimed at OEM and real applications as the sensitivity is low.
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: Forget Cube speaker Drivers .........is this the future?

Post by Nick »

I don't know enough about drive units to say, but 0.1% above 100hz, rising to 1% below seems a long way from low distortion to me.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#3 Re: Forget Cube speaker Drivers .........is this the future?

Post by ed »

I'm struggling to see the connection with 'full range' here, at best it looks like a candidate for the middle of a 3 way design. Perhaps I'm missing something.

also, what is the reference to cube speaker drivers?. It may sound glorious but there is no clue to this on the specs that I can see.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Forget Cube speaker Drivers .........is this the future?

Post by IslandPink »

I'd have to check other drivers to see how low distortion is - speakers are typically a long way from being like amps.
It looked interesting until i saw it's only 84.9dB/w efficient. there's always a catch.
But good to see the high Qm.
Cube, see HiFi collective for example, the 'Magus' 8" unit looks very nice ( but expensive ). However Nick has done listening tests and prefers the AER's.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

#5 Re: Forget Cube speaker Drivers .........is this the future?

Post by Nick »

Just for reference, the AER I liked was this

https://aer-loudspeakers.com/aer-excenter/

But at 60,000eu I think I would put up with a pair of Quasars which the above sounded just like to me.

Not so sure about (well, I was, I don't like) this

https://aer-loudspeakers.com/aer-axjet/
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#6 Re: Forget Cube speaker Drivers .........is this the future?

Post by vinylnvalves »

From my experience of speaker drivers 50db of headroom between the fundamental response and distortion is quite good, better than any cone driver I own.

The reference to the “cube” drivers was this is a wide band driver, like they are, yes they have whizzer cones to give you that extra few khz’s. But wouldn’t you use a super tweeter anyway?

The amp modules that Bruno is going to be marketing will be interesting, seems like he will be making ncore defunct. Glad I sold mine on before the latest “d” class pushes the last kingpin of its perch.

Would be interesting so see what distortion levels these AMT’s I have are ( not done anything with them yet :x )
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#7 Re: Forget Cube speaker Drivers .........is this the future?

Post by vinylnvalves »

Beyma TPL’s have a distortion margin (headroom) of 40db for 2nd order and 60db for 3rd order from the spec sheet. Beyma 12BR70 has 40 dB.
chris661
Shed dweller

#8 Re: Forget Cube speaker Drivers .........is this the future?

Post by chris661 »

Nick wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:43 pm I don't know enough about drive units to say, but 0.1% above 100hz, rising to 1% below seems a long way from low distortion to me.
Someone has done the work - http://zaphaudio.com/6.5test/
There's a link to click on that shows distortion levels etc.

Chris
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#9 Re: Forget Cube speaker Drivers .........is this the future?

Post by Ali Tait »

vinylnvalves wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:18 pm From my experience of speaker drivers 50db of headroom between the fundamental response and distortion is quite good, better than any cone driver I own.

The reference to the “cube” drivers was this is a wide band driver, like they are, yes they have whizzer cones to give you that extra few khz’s. But wouldn’t you use a super tweeter anyway?

The amp modules that Bruno is going to be marketing will be interesting, seems like he will be making ncore defunct. Glad I sold mine on before the latest “d” class pushes the last kingpin of its perch.

Would be interesting so see what distortion levels these AMT’s I have are ( not done anything with them yet :x )
Amp modules?
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#11 Re: Forget Cube speaker Drivers .........is this the future?

Post by Ali Tait »

Thanks.
DSJR
User

#12 Re: Forget Cube speaker Drivers .........is this the future?

Post by DSJR »

Spec and measurement wise, the ncore modules do look to be very good still, even if Bruno has taken the concept further. Others here may violently disagree (not too violently I hope ;)) but the latest smps types seem cleaner than ever and not as 'dirty' back into the mains as I once believed them to be (oh to have some proper knowledge and decent test gear to check these statements)..

I rather like ASR, even if they're polar opposites to the typical subjective-only based forums :D
ed
retired

#13 Re: Forget Cube speaker Drivers .........is this the future?

Post by ed »

the module definitely looks like the next step...but I can't find any mention of price in all the written pieces. Has anything been announced yet?

It looks strongly like PUtzeys, RIsbo = puri but where does the fi come from and why doesn't Lyngdorf figure in the contraction.....I'm guessing fi for fidelity, but purily has much better symmetry...

producing a module does rather make it easier to do license deals rather than producing a chip per se.....is this the lesson learned with hypex?

I'm guessing I wont be able to afford this anyway so I've got to keep on plugging away with my texas tpa chips...sigh
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#14 Re: Forget Cube speaker Drivers .........is this the future?

Post by vinylnvalves »

I was using nc400 modules, but have changed to these....http://www.anaview.com/sites/default/fi ... 2600-C.pdf. Find the bass a lot better than the Hypex nc400’s -more controlled and extended. Haven’t really noticed any difference in the higher registers after lots of back to back comparisons. So switched all my 10 channels to anaview modules use the lower power ams0100 modules for the higher frequencies. Putting money back in the bank for once from an upgrade. :)