#2 Re: Peter Green.

Post by IslandPink »

Ah, that's a shame.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Peter Green.

Post by Dave the bass »

I liked his playing, he was great in that early era of Fleetwood Mac. Part of that blues-based less-is-more school of players, him and Kossoff. Phwoooaaarr.

Amazing he kept his marbles after what he went through too.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
JamesD
Old Hand

#4 Re: Peter Green.

Post by JamesD »

Yeah him and Kossof got more emotional tone from an electric guitar than anyone else that I've heard...

Any players that do the same that I've missed?
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: Peter Green.

Post by Dave the bass »

Mike Bloomfield?

Witness the fitness at 0.48, awethumne (IMO)...

Also, it neatly continues the white-Jewish-superb-blues-musician theme, Kossoff/Green(Baum)/Bloomfield :) They're all ace.
shane
Social outcast

#6 Re: Peter Green.

Post by shane »

JamesD wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:31 pm Yeah him and Kossof got more emotional tone from an electric guitar than anyone else that I've heard...

Any players that do the same that I've missed?
Richard Thompson, maybe?
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
JamesD
Old Hand

#7 Re: Peter Green.

Post by JamesD »

I love Richard Thompson's playing of the acoustic guitar - I haven't been quite as impressed with his electric work as with Kossof and Green but maybe I need to have another listen :-)

I don't know Mike Bloomfields work - sounds great need to check more out. Nice to have an American in the list

Nick
Site Admin

#8 Re: Peter Green.

Post by Nick »

Another suggestion

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Greg
Social outcast

#9 Re: Peter Green.

Post by Greg »

I know a lot of his early and Fleetwood Mac stuff, but what I really enjoy is his more recent stuff (after his clouds lifted) with his ‘Splinter Group’. A pity even then things were made political and he was oppressed by it all. A great talent who should have been even greater.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10 Re: Peter Green.

Post by IslandPink »

A nod to Richard Thompson, especially after seeing him live.
Jerry Garcia , not quite the same thing as Peter, but what great work , more improvisation, tone always a big part of his sound.

Peter Green though ... shame too little footage of him in this clip, but one of his best -
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11 Re: Peter Green.

Post by Dave the bass »

Emotive-guitar solo? ... less is more ...you got it right here, doesn't often appear minimalist and is often overblown but sometimes he's just :shock: ... like here :) 0.06 onwards. Listen to that phrase tweakage going on on each pass from 1.25 ... at 1.48 the hairs really do stand up on the back of my neck with his playing. He was bluddy awethumne too (IMO).

andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#12 Re: Peter Green.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Yes to Michael Bloomfield. Yes to Prince but dont forget the range of guitar beauty from Carlos Santana. He and Peter Green were great friends.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

#13 Re: Peter Green.

Post by Nick »

Yes, but maybe. The thing is to me while that Prince's playing is great, it is just well executed and controlled and just a bunch of technique (though the just in there is a understatement) He can do that everyday and twice on Sundays. What the likes of Peter Green and without doubt early Santana did had much more of a element of risk in it. For me the risk and out of controlness and the tone being in their hands and not in the rack was what set the early electric blues players apart. The Prince playing is no more or less hugely entertaining but basically cynical manipulation than Gilmore playing comfortably numb. IHHO.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#14 Re: Peter Green.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Yes, but maybe...........
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
shane
Social outcast

#15 Re: Peter Green.

Post by shane »

Nick wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:05 am Yes, but maybe. The thing is to me while that Prince's playing is great, it is just well executed and controlled and just a bunch of technique (though the just in there is a understatement) He can do that everyday and twice on Sundays. What the likes of Peter Green and without doubt early Santana did had much more of a element of risk in it. For me the risk and out of controlness and the tone being in their hands and not in the rack was what set the early electric blues players apart. The Prince playing is no more or less hugely entertaining but basically cynical manipulation than Gilmore playing comfortably numb. IHHO.
Nicely put, Nick.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.