New to me Deck

301, 401, plinths and assorted idler stuff
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Will wrote: One is young blue eyed and blond ....
Thats me, you sweet talker :lol:

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

Post by richardcooper2k »

so it might depend on the balance of the rest of the system and prehaps the music and recording as to which would be nicest
Will
Old Hand

Post by Will »

Richard
it might but the lenco was well sorted I dont think there was much more to do and the tonal balance of the Lenco with a heavy ply-mdf plinth did't suffer any loss of top end and there was top-bottom balance but its does not have the natural presentation of the 401.

With the 401 I'am not happy with the top end its not as vivid as the Lenco but its early days and supports have a huge affect on the sound of this deck+slate, one of the supports gave the Lenco more bass-body and this could be the one to change with the 401 having plenty.

I drove passed Snape Hill today, dropped my Mother off at here Sisters.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Will,

It might be worth cosidering a change to the isolation seperators you have between the plinths. On my project I originally used those DIY ball bearing supports made from plumbing parts but later adopted Darren's spiked seperators which really made a big difference and got all the sound balanced and cohesive.

Best wishes,

Greg
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

you could have popped in, i could do with a good pair of ears to give me some feedback with my system in situ, i can almost spit on snape hill from my house

when i went to slate with my 401 i got an improvement in top end detail. this gave the impression of tightening up the bottom end. crisper and more air

have you got non-soggy decoupling between your slate plates eg spikey type things ?

spikes probably need to meet a harder surface than slate to work properly eg metal to metal (and hard metals)
Last edited by richardcooper2k on Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

touche greg
Will
Old Hand

Post by Will »

I have the same spikes that Darren uses under the bottom plinth, I need them there for levelling I will order another set.
Thanks.
Will
Old Hand

Post by Will »

I damped the platter and this impoved the top end and the points added more.
I did the ball bearing mod and gained more separation during complex music, jazz at full belt, i kid you not it sounds stunning.
Cheers Will.
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

hi will
how did you damp the platter ?
what is the ball bearing mod ?
glad its sounding good
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

I don't doubt it sounds stunning Will.If it sounds anything like Nick's it will be mesmerizing.Never heard anything quite like it personally.
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

hi will, looks wonderful, im bringing the slate lenco to owston and hopefully graham can bring his too, mine is similar in its plinth the yours a'la slatedecks style wheras grahams is huge from the pics on the wd forum and alot more developed than mine. it'll be good to compare. obviously not in a scientific sense due to the location and 3 different types of arm as mine is a u/p again and grahams is a parallel tracker, but might give a sense of relative strengths or weaknesses i think it'll be a good un this year!
Will
Old Hand

Post by Will »

Shootout!!

“Go ahead, make my day”

Harry Callahan: I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a Garrard 401, the most powerful turntable in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk?”

“If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster.”
:)
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

i'll be bringing my slate 401 as well, now with a terminator (more deadly than a six shooter)

shame we've all got different cartridges - or maybe not ?
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

dl 103r for me or an mc10 if i get round to changing it, i was planning to put it on the mayware and mount that on the denon im collecting off greg there. i might fetch it and put it on whilst we're there
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

i may just have to bring a 124... just dropped in a lump of ply...
with a early 1960's shure m3d mounted.. it will be fun to compare with the 103's

steve