The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#886 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

There was a time not so long ago when the world's largest manufacturer of hearing aids used to make freebie ash trays. You'll never guess what shape they were.... now collector's items.

Otoh, Widex who have now disappeared, I believe, one year gave away watches. They were really nice analog faced digital watches with real leather straps. After a few years I gave mine up to my dad because his digital digital free with 5litres of engine oil watch conked out. I once had a Sinclair led watch, phroaaaaaar!

Ooops apollilogies, I'm off piste. Ignore me and get back to your hogs.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Baggy Trousers
User

#887 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:37 pm
They were really nice analog faced digital watches with real leather straps. After a few years I gave mine up to my dad because his digital digital free with 5litres of engine oil watch conked out.
I half remember those, Doc. Also remember when you could get a Free Astrid Proll with 5 gals of Shell Supreme with ICA. Actually, the Ignition Control Additive was earlier, contemporary with the "tiger in yer tank" and that silly tail hanging out of the filler. This was shortly before the fake bullet holes - "Get out of town, fast". And those pretend cellphones which came with umpteen pink stamps or something. This was in the very early days of these toys for the super-rich; I used to sit at traffic lights in my VW, window down with my phony phone stuck in my ear shouting "Buy" and "Sell". Well, I was a bit younger and we were easily amused in those days . . . . Why the hell do I remember all this rubbish?

But just to keep things sur la piste, I should admit to cleaning my X-ring chain today and tightening some loose engine mounting bolts. Never had to do this with any previous bike but I have to check these things surprisingly frequently with this Honda. I suppose that's progress.
Last of the late brakers.
ed
retired

#888 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by ed »

the esso sign means happy motoring
call at the esso sign

I remember being 5 years old, I was in grannies parlour when dad came in bearing a small music book which he'd acquired at the local esso station. He put said book on the piano and insisted I play that aforementioned ditto.....

oh happy day......
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
andrew Ivimey

#889 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Mettez une tigre dans votre tank!

&

Weren't the bullet holes stickers also Esso?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
ed
retired

#890 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by ed »

<pedant mode>
Andrew, I'm pretty sure tiger is masculine noun, therefore Un Tigre.
</pedant mode>

oh lordy lord, it sounds like something my MIL would have said....I'm doomed!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#891 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Cressy Snr »

ed wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:12 am the esso sign means happy motoring
call at the esso sign...

oh happy day......
I’m a bit younger than you Ed so my one was:
Green Shield stamps,
Green Shield stamps,
You get wonderful free gifts
With Green Shield stamps.

Boom boom boom boom...Esso Blue! :mrgreen:
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#892 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Being just a tad older Steve, the first advert that grabbed my attention was not motoring related, it was Fropax peas.

Can't find it on YouTube.

The all time classic must be the aliens on the Cadburys Smash advert ?

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Baggy Trousers
User

#893 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:38 am Weren't the bullet holes stickers also Esso?
Nooooo. This ain't pedantry - it's a sorry but mercifully small section of my life. To help get myself through university, long before self-service became the norm, I worked the graveyard shift at a Regent's Park Texaco station and well remember the ill-behaved brats of customers who wanted everything checked - and a couple of Redex shots - demanding strips of these fake holes. As far as I was concerned, they could not "get out of town fast" enough!

You'll wonder where the yellow went
When you brush your teeth with Pepsodent.
Last of the late brakers.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#894 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Going for Sunday lunch at the Maids Head at Wicken on the AJS Cadwell. A ride around the fens of Lincolnshire and Cambridgeshire. Perfect biking weather for it too, not cold, not hot, not wet.
-

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#895 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Testing a Wealpe Jaws Gooseneck Flex Clamp Mount on the Ural. A shorter alternative method was obscuring the righthand side dash lights and part of the speedo. After groceries shopping at Sibsey, went for lunch at Rachel's cafe in Hagworthingham. Via A16, Stickford, Hagnaby to West Keal (A155), then narrow lanes to A158 and Hagworthingham.
-

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
steve s
Shed dweller

#896 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by steve s »

I'm booked in for a test ride tomorrow on a new ktm superduke 1290R, must say I'm really looking forwards to it, and also a little scared of it, which I've read is quite a common feeling amoung many owners..

Let's see what tomorrow brings

Tonight I've got to go around all the chairs in the house to see how much loose change I can find down the cushions, for just in case I like it
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Paul Barker

#897 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Paul Barker »

lol
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#898 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Nice vids, Mike.
They are very soothing. Should be prescribed as an after-dinner remedy for stress and indigestion.
Love the hawthorn blossom this time of year.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
steve s
Shed dweller

#899 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by steve s »

steve s wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:44 pm I'm booked in for a test ride tomorrow on a new ktm superduke 1290R, must say I'm really looking forwards to it, and also a little scared of it, which I've read is quite a common feeling amoung many owners..

Let's see what tomorrow brings

Tonight I've got to go around all the chairs in the house to see how much loose change I can find down the cushions, for just in case I like it
I pick a new one up on Saturday
What a bike... so easy to ride, I loved it.
My hi fi is on the back burner once more
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#900 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

steve s wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:10 pm
I pick a new one up on Saturday
What a bike... so easy to ride, I loved it.
My hi fi is on the back burner once more
Nice one Steve, I'm pleased for you. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)