General health matters.

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#181 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

jack wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:56 am
I admit that I've probably done far more long haul flights than 99% of the population,
So, my purchase of pistachio nuts pales into insignificance. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#182 Re: General health matters.

Post by jack »

pre65 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:43 am
jack wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:56 am
I admit that I've probably done far more long haul flights than 99% of the population,
So, my purchase of pistachio nuts pales into insignificance. :)
You're missing the point (probably deliberately). There are simpler and cheaper ways of achieving the same result. The first-world's fascination with unnecessary supplements and "super foods" is a business worth $billions/pa.

I have also given up flying - it would have been tricky to cycle or jog between continents when I was working out there (or indeed in any of the several other countries I've been based in at times). I did cycle between France & Switzerland when living in Ferney-Voltaire/Échenevex and working in Genève and once swam from Asia to Europe (but I'm never doing that again...).
Last edited by jack on Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Neal
Shed dweller

#183 Re: General health matters.

Post by Neal »

Phil hasn’t had his Snickers today.... :D
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#184 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

Neal wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:15 pm Phil hasn’t had his Snickers today.... :D
Nuts. :lol:

I have to isolate till late Thursday afternoon as Jean has got to undergo a "procedure".

Plenty of time to watch YouTube videos and be sucked in for more pills,and magic potions. :wink:

Edmund Burke

shane
Social outcast

#185 Re: General health matters.

Post by shane »

jack wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:57 pm
Ps. There are many cheaper and easier ways of getting the same minerals and vitamins that also don't involve shipping stuff round the world. Carbon footprint/food miles and all that.
I had an interesting conversation with my son about this over the weekend. He works for the farming company that founded Yeo Valley, and is involved with sustainable dairy farming.
One of the product groups that have arisen recently in the movement against dairy is non-dairy milks, such as almond milk. As well as requiring vast tracts of prime agricultural land and huge amounts of water to grow the almonds (of which there are about five in each litre of product), the resultant product has to be UHT treated as it’s pretty much an ideal growth medium for moulds and bacteria. Now at least you’d think that would mean that it doesn’t need to be refrigerated, but no. The supermarkets have discovered that no one will buy the stuff unless it’s displayed in the chiller cabinets alongside real milk, and because their logistics systems can’t cope with the idea of putting unchilled product into chillers, it has to be shipped the whole way round the world refrigerated, at enormous cost both economically and environmentally just so a few middle class veggies can fantasise that somehow they’re saving the planet.

We live in a mixed up world.
Last edited by shane on Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#186 Re: General health matters.

Post by simon »

You mean vegans? And lactose intolerant? ;-)

The point about chilling it is well made though. And it's minging anyway :lol:.
shane
Social outcast

#187 Re: General health matters.

Post by shane »

Lactose intelerance is a special case, but yes.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
shane
Social outcast

#188 Re: General health matters.

Post by shane »

This was something else Tom sent me recently. It's an hour long, but if you're concerned about impending environmental catastrophe it makes interesting viewing. It makes the case that although intensive farming is very destructive, abandoning meat wil make it even more so, while adopting different techniques for farming livestock will be one of the most effective ways of saving the planet.

https://access.sacredcow.info/
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#189 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

For quite some time (2013 from memory) I've had problems with shoulder pain which migrates to the head, and although not debilitating, it (when it occurs) is a nuisance. I suspect it's something to do with my former off road racing exploits.

Recently it has got more persistent, particularly in the mornings upon waking, and despite visits to various therapists, and a multitude of different exercises, the problem persists. :(

So, I have asked around, and been recommended to a "sports therapist" in Ipswich who have laser treatment and shockwave therapy in their practice.

I'm booked in Weds 10th Feb for a consultation. :)

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#190 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

Health update.

1) I found, by chance, that a particular exercise I had started doing to alleviate back ache stopped completely the problems I had with my neck and shoulders. :D

2) In advance of my annual review with my GP I got her to sort out the paperwork for my blood tests.

3) Got the telephone consultation from the Doctor this morning (annual review) and she was impressed with the blood test results. No worries about pre diabetes this time. I had taken my own blood pressure, and the average of 3 readings was to her liking.

So, I'm passed fit for another year. :bounce:

Edmund Burke

shane
Social outcast

#191 Re: General health matters.

Post by shane »

If you were manufactured before 1981, then you can register yourself as a classic and don’t need an MOT!

Good to know you passed though…
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#192 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

I phoned my Doctors surgery a little while ago, I've got problems with my jaw, and also I seem to be suffering from sleep apnoea.

Joy of joys they have got me a face to face appointment, but not till 4th November. :(

If our Thomas reads this, generally speaking are jaw problems best discussed with a Doctor, or Dentist ?

Edmund Burke

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#193 Re: General health matters.

Post by Mike H »

Good lord – hang in there Phil :shock:

Coincidentally, I have had similar, a pain in the jaw and it was to do with an erupting wisdom tooth – right side – had it taken out that was sort of trying to come out sideways facing forward, and there is another one underneath. Roots not at all long so not complicated but it was the origin of rhe prior discomfort. Only problem I got now is have to watch it when chewing because there's just bare gum there now which is easily bruised, :shock:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#194 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

pre65 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:54 pm I phoned my Doctors surgery a little while ago, I've got problems with my jaw, and also I seem to be suffering from sleep apnoea.

Joy of joys they have got me a face to face appointment, but not till 4th November. :(

If our Thomas reads this, generally speaking are jaw problems best discussed with a Doctor, or Dentist ?
My Doctor is going to refer me to the "sleep clinic" at Papworth hospital. :D

I wonder how long before I get an actual appointment ?

Edmund Burke

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#195 Re: General health matters.

Post by Mike H »

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."