Post by Dave the bass »

:)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#272 Re: General health matters.

Post by jack »

Dave the bass wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:54 pm
jack wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:37 pm It's a general thing. Our daughter just had a child. The father was only allowed in briefly....
<sniggers > Thats how babies are made innit?
Damn! I left the door open...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#273 Re: General health matters.

Post by Ray P »

For our team Christmas social we decided to do an mostly outdoor event so on Thursday we did a trek along the Teign Estuary foreshore with lunch at a nice waterfront pub. Unfortunatly I had a bad fall on a concrete ramp (now I know why they're called slipways!) and landed badly on my right arm - I finished the walk fine but by the evening my right hand and wrist were swollen and sore - bad enough to be kept awake by it.

Normally I would head over to A&E to get it checked but I found myself with the dilemma of not wanting to add to their already daunting workload and not wanting to go to a place full of people who are ill (for medical reasons Judy hasn't had any jabs yet - doctors orders before anyone comments). So far I've not been to A&E as I'm fairly sure there's nothing broken and It's a little better today so just keeping it strapped and taking occasional painkillers. Tricky.
Last edited by Ray P on Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#274 Re: General health matters.

Post by jack »

Walking at
Rye Harbour Nature Reserve
yesterday - lovely place. We were going to swim in the sea at Lydd but the sea was too rough.

A 47 y/o bloke had slipped and fallen on a bit of concrete at the famous black-and-red hut.

He thought he was ok, but it turned out he'd broken his wrist and dislocated his shoulder.

5C with a biting north wind, he was on the verge of hypothermia when we saw him. Two hours for an ambulance to arrive as they deemed him low priority.

If in any doubt, get an x-ray, Ray (SWIDT)
Last edited by jack on Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#275 Re: General health matters.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Whenever I read about ambulances taking forever im compelled to tell the following.

It was a sunny Sunday morning of my 49 year ,the missus was having coffee with a friend and I was reading. I’d just tried to stand up and failed. I’d dragged myself back on to the bed and sat for five minutes thinking about why I couldn’t stand up. Whilst thinking about why my leg didn’t work , my arm decided it wouldnt work

Not speaking any sense to any one , my daughter rang for an ambulance . In less than 3 minutes they arrived so I was able speak nonesense to them, puke up and shit my pants and then lose consciousness.

That ambulance saved my life.

About 4 years later an ambulance came to the house for my daughter. Coincidentally it was driven by the same people so I got chance to thank them , which they were pleased and surprised about as they were sure I was a gonner
Last edited by Daniel Quinn on Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve s
Shed dweller

#276 Re: General health matters.

Post by steve s »

Thats a good story and worth telling

It's also highlights the fact how fragile your health can be, and something we take for granted when we have it.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#277 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

steve s wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:27 pm Thats a good story and worth telling

It's also highlights the fact how fragile your health can be, and something we take for granted when we have it.
Indeed. :)

But since the pandemic started things have changed for the worse. :(

At our indoor bowls club one member had recently received a new hip joint. Whilst playing bowls one afternoon the hip joint popped out, and she dropped to the floor in agony. Of course someone called 999, but it was over 10 hours before an ambulance arrived. :shock:

There is still a stain on the carpet where she pissed herself as no one dare try and move her.

Seemingly, after being discharged from hospital the same thing happened again in her home and this time the wait for an ambulance was even longer.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#278 Re: General health matters.

Post by IslandPink »

I had two such incidents in October with my disabled mother. The first one was a wait of 6 hours. She was taken into A&E, diagnosed with a cracked vertebra, then discharged home the following day. Two days later she was in big trouble still, I went round and we ended up waiting over 11 hours, overnight, for an ambulance. I didn't get any sleep. Thankfully she was taken into a ward then, and Intermediate Care after, she's still there, maybe won't get back to the house now.
But it takes its toll on those around. I went into a tailspin with sleep and anxiety about a week after these incidents, and I haven't yet recovered. I'm in a second 4-week sign off from work, and may end up having to resign my job.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#279 Re: General health matters.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Given the limited resources ( a govt issue and if you voted Tory you should be ashamed ) what the above examples show is the ambulance service make some very difficult decisions brillantly
Ray P

#280 Re: General health matters.

Post by Ray P »

jack wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:31 pm 5C with a biting north wind, he was on the verge of hypothermia when we saw him. Two hours for an ambulance to arrive as they deemed him low priority.
Got the T shirt - when I fractured my hip outside the back door it was Dec 28th and stair rods of freezing rain were falling. There was a delay getting an ambulance to me so they sent a paramedic on a motorbike but he'd been so busy he had no thermal blankets left so I had people trying to stand over me with brollies. The ambulance arrived aftr about half an hour by which time I was shivering uncontrollably - no what you want with a fracture! I'm not complaining because the teams were brilliant but there will always be times when demand exceeds supply. It took a couple of hours before the shivering subsided but by then they had injected me with a painkiller at the fracture.
jack wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:31 pm If in any doubt, get an x-ray, Ray (SWIDT)
The swelling is subsiding a little today, I have more movement and can grip a little so I think it's going in the right direction.
Ray P

#281 Re: General health matters.

Post by Ray P »

Thinking about that chilly interlude, coupled with having watched 'Artic' this afternoon has made me feel quite chilled!

BTW, the movie is worth a watch (I got it on Amazon Prime)...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6820256/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3
Neal
Shed dweller

#282 Re: General health matters.

Post by Neal »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:27 pm I had two such incidents in October with my disabled mother. The first one was a wait of 6 hours. She was taken into A&E, diagnosed with a cracked vertebra, then discharged home the following day. Two days later she was in big trouble still, I went round and we ended up waiting over 11 hours, overnight, for an ambulance. I didn't get any sleep. Thankfully she was taken into a ward then, and Intermediate Care after, she's still there, maybe won't get back to the house now.
But it takes its toll on those around. I went into a tailspin with sleep and anxiety about a week after these incidents, and I haven't yet recovered. I'm in a second 4-week sign off from work, and may end up having to resign my job.
Mark, I hope it works out for you and you can get a grip on your situation. I hope your mom is comfortable and in good hands… it’s tough I’ve been there…
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#283 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

This may not be the only reason, but I'm told that often when an ambulance gets to the hospital they can't "unload" the patient due to hospital problems, so they have to wait till the patient can be accepted.

Only then can the next emergency be attended to.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#284 Re: General health matters.

Post by jack »

Ray P wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:36 pm ...a paramedic on a motorbike but he'd been so busy he had no thermal blankets left so I had people trying to stand over me with brollies...
A duvet was salvaged from a pub about 1/2 mile away along with a couple of pillows from a nearby caravan park. The ambulance station is in Rye, about 10 minutes away, but they had other stuff with a higher priority. At least it wasn't raining and he could be moved enough to get him out of the worst of the wind.

Someone had given him a small space blanket, but it was useless in the wind the way it was being used. Normally I always have one or two in the day-pack - I have a "standard safety kit" - space blankets, dressings, antiseptic wipes, tape, compass, tweezers, scissors, sharp knife, parachute cord etc. but because SWBO and I were intending to swim in the sea, I'd taken the safety kit out for sea swim stuff.

Lesson learned - never leave the safety kit behind.
Ray P

#285 Re: General health matters.

Post by Ray P »

Space blankets - that's what I meant by thermal blankets but just couldn't put my finger on it.

In my situation I did get a sleeping bag put over me but it got soaked very quickly and, anyway, the fundamental problem was lying on cold concrete with the rain draining under me.

I've also just remembered that I was wearing a brand new pair of Levi 501s with an expensive leather belt - they cut the jeans off me without undoing the belt!