My only AC Green Short Path, Please God may it work?

If they glow, this is the place to be
JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD »

Whilst I have heard the effects described here with certain amplifiers the thing that I come back to is....

The sound we heard from Steve's 6B4G amplifier at Owston on the sunday last year...

The soundstage on that occasion was holographic in the sense that it had height depth width and one could walk around in it but the image stayed stable - it really sounded as if you were in the room with the musicians.. it was real... it was live...

I have only heard this on a handful of occasions in my life - three times with DHTs. once with IDHPs and once with transistors...

J.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

JamesD wrote:once with transistors...

J.
:shock: quick, find the ducking chair :o

Ack Shirley there;s a lot of other variables.

BEst female singer sat on a chair midway between me and a soundstage was shared with Darren in Leeds the day I met him in someone's home on their quad 57's with a transistor amp.

I'll get my coat.
Last edited by Paul Barker on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

ed wrote:
just for the record this is deffo not my experience
Aye....its a contentious issue. Not a lot of other audio enthusiasts I know share my views but of course that's the way of the world.

Trouble is I have to go with what I am hearing, and at Owston/Eggborough, I hear a lot of shriek and shout; a shriek and shout that bothers me greatly, but does not bother most others.
What most sensible folks hear as presence and detail, I hear, in your face, over the top artificiality. I've heard it from 2A3, 300B, 811A, GM70, 833, 45, 801A, VT52.
IH valves don't escape entirely as I have heard the same coming from KT88 and KT66.

El34, EL37, EL84, 6P25, KT41, 6AQ5 and KT120 OTOH seem to sound very agreeable to my below average sized ears and if driven by a good valve are aural ecstasy personified. I realise, I am in a minority of one, but there's no sense building stuff that would get on my wick. :)
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

SteveTheShadow wrote: Not a lot share my views but of course that's the way of the world. :)
:shock:
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

OOH.....Keep digging I say to myself.

I goes in cycles. I spout some outrageous nonsense, then it goes back to normal for a while.

Ignore me chaps. It'll pass soon enough. :)
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

You understand I am only playing with you Steve, your hearing is valid, your amps sound great.

I also have a bias towards iht's as Mark said it may be in the heating where dht's can get clogged up.
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

We do all hear differently, yet we must all actually hear the same things, alot must go on between the ear and the brain...

Back on topic....

I'Ve had a quick look though some of my valves the only cosmos valve i could find was an earlier one from around 1922 its in its original box
Attachments
image.jpg
Last edited by steve s on Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

I hope Paul don't mind me hijacking.. But a few more pictures,
The short path name was owned by cosmos, which was part of metro- vickers group which turned into Mazda in the late 20's

Mazda kept the short path name, below are a few mazda short path valves from the late 20's /early 30's there is a mixture of ac/ p1, ac/p, ac/hl, sorry the pic is upside down...
Attachments
image.jpg
Last edited by steve s on Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

These are the best of the mh 4 in my view, the one on the left made for france in 1932 i have a few of these, they sound as good as the cosser valves from the same time
Attachments
image.jpg
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

And the above is perfect for driving all these, note the size of the p650 anode for 1.1 watt valve, they quickly found they did not need that much quality but needed more output, that is on the left,
the mazda version of the px25 is central, the actual anode is 1/2" shorter although its difficult to see that in the photo, to the right is the 300a
Attachments
image.jpg
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Wonderful. We shall have curves for them soon.