GM70

If they glow, this is the place to be
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 GM70

Post by Paul Barker »

Something became out of sync when I traced the GM70 first in A1 and then in A2. This seems to happen with any A2 valve. The transition in the way we cross from measuring A1 to A2 is flawed. So we have some data which we must apply reason to.

I have conglomerated the two different traces. Either one half or the other half or both half's to a degree are out of line.

Two pictures merged with Paint, but not manipulated.

Here I have incorporated the +10v line from the A1 curves and manipulated A2 curve position.

Is it simply the inaccuracy of the screen voltage at low voltages?
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

How do they compare to the "official" ones

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Shows that the miniscule portion we can observe is a non linear part of the whole picture, and only proves how the present uTracer is outclassed by such a valve as the GM70. It seems the top picture of mine is probably closer to the truth than I realised, as the positive lines only linearise at the higher currents. I am not satisfied that the transition from A1 measurments to A2 measurments is accurate though.

But the uTracer blog shows good progress in development of the uTracer 4 despight Ronald having had a holliday.

We are on holliday this week at home having day trips.

I'd sooner be in the manshed Shhhh, don't tell anyone.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Actually the official curves demonstrate a considerable amount of 2nd harmonic at the operating points we use, probably more appropriate for PP operation. I have never been entirely happy with the GM70 SE sound, though we have had loads of fun with it, such valves as the 211 destroy it in my book.

Quite possible the GK71 will kill it once and for all.

We'll see.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

I think those 'official' curves have been shown to be rubbish recently .
These are more widely accepted nowadays :
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=80977.0
or these :
http://www.audiofaidate.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4305

although they don't show the A2 section very much .
There's a job for you, Paul !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Actually the official curves demonstrate a considerable amount of 2nd harmonic at the operating points we use, probably more appropriate for PP operation. I have never been entirely happy with the GM70 SE sound, though we have had loads of fun with it, such valves as the 211 destroy it in my book.

Quite possible the GK71 will kill it once and for all.

We'll see.

Quoting Paul above ... but they are so cheap! And I enjoy them. VT4cs are very expensive - they are better of course and I'm using audionote iron. GM70s are fun and capable. GK71s, I've doen adn await with baited breath for someone to demonstrate their magic - but at that price, does it matter! I don't see that a GK will 'destroy' a GM actually but dare I also hint ....

Curves are curves and measurements are only measurements but using the valves are something else (Is this being a flat earther?). I'll be advocating homeopathy and talking to trees soon :-)

I am eager to hear this latest generation of GKs and GMs - roll on Owston.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

IslandPink wrote:although they don't show the A2 section very much
Thats why I linked the curves I did.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Again it just demonstrates the limited range we have to work with. But my curves overlay it quite well under the circumstances.
Image[/URL]
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Nick wrote:Thats why I linked the curves I did.
I know :) Paul assumed the rest of the A1 curves were representative.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

I grant you Mark that the bigger picture traces shows very nice A1 curves. No real need to show A2 when there are such good A1 operating criteria available. There also remains a question mark over the transition to A2, which even the official curves show is strange compared to other valves designed for A2.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Colins GM70 walks into A2, its fine, no different a transition than 211
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Which makes the curves wrong.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Sent some money to Bud . Ouch !
With a bit of luck I will have them in October.
( 7K>8R/4R , M3, 'level 2' , 90ma , ~40-45H ) .
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Oh good, the amp will be ready for November's Owston then! :D
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Oooh, lovely Mark, can't wait to hear them :-)