Volume Control

What people are working on at the moment
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote:
Wont be able to report on sound quality until I can get it hooked up to Nicks D3a line stage driver
Ahh, bit of a problem there. the buffer stage is built into a box now with the Slagle AVC's
A BOX !!!! :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yep, a box, I am suprised no one has posted any shaming pictures from the day at Steves.

Having the buffer on MDF was fine, it was the clipleads and the autoformers that got to be a problem.

Not only is it in a box, but its got knobs on as well :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Ahhh, humble apologies. This week has been frantic to say the least at work, a 22 hour shift on Wednesday/Thursday really helped the week zip by! Just dropping in before I disappear for a week now too, so it'll be a bit longer before I post them. You'll all have built something new by then...
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Looks like I'll have to knock together a D3a buffer stage then!

Me thinks I am due another visit your place Nick for details the line driver. At least I have a bid in on Ebay for some Siemens D3a tubes so it's a start.

Colin
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yep, its more than simple, just a couple of valves a couple of caps, and 8 resistors.

5k6 5W 2 off
100k 0.5w 4 off
110k 0.5w 2 off
75R 0.5w 2 off
0.47uf 250v 2 off
d3a 2 off

Then you just need a 250v supply, and a heater supply. What I have done in the boxed one, is use two 240 to 6v + 6v 50va torroids back to back. I was using a maplin 240v 100ma but it was just too noisy,

6v + 6v 50va 2 off
UF4005 4 off
maplin 7H choke 1 off
25uf 450v 1 off
100uf 450v 1 off
470uf 400v 1 off
1k 50w wire wound

I think thats about it.

You can also use one of the 6v output to heat the valves, and the other can be used to provide a regulated 5v. I do that to power the relays for input selection, but you could power the welbourn labs thing that way.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Hi Nick,

Do you get any diode/rectifier switching noise getting coupled back into the toroids and appearing on the heater supply using that setup?

cheers,

-- Andrew
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

No, it seems to be silent. Odd, isn't it. I suspect much of the problem was the maplin TX. I was going to use it in the box, but it radiated too much hum, using the two TX's its just about silent. At least if there is hum, its down in the noise.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#53 Welborne Remote

Post by Ray P »

To cut to the quick, I used one of the welborne remote volume controls for several months - had it on loan from a fellow bottlehead - and it worked very well and sounded fine, as good as the switched attenuators I normally use. In fact I working a trade to get it back permanently.

Ray
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Nick wrote:Yep, a box,

Not only is it in a box, but its got knobs on as well :-)
I've only just picked up on this :lol:

I'm devasted, I don't think I can take that kind of news on the first day back at work.

It's all like a bad dream :)

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Don't worry Dave, the 76 and 211 are still living on the MDF :-)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Nick wrote:Don't worry Dave, the 76 and 211 are still living on the MDF :-)
:lol: Phew!

After the 'stern telling off' that I had on our first meeting I thought you'd gone a bit soft and Southern!

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
carleo
New User

#57 Welborne labs attenuator volume control

Post by carleo »

I have a bad experience with Welborne labs,as I ordered an Ultrapath battery powered linestage preamp in kit.Mr. Welborne took my money
($ 1600) but he never sent to me all the parts,so I have to buy it again from other dealers (transformers,batteries,silver wire).After one and half year I have finally assembled my Ultrapath,but I can't turn it on and make test it.It's because he had also never sent to me a remote control unit for this preamp,which has his attenuator volume control inside.This unit has not any of manual controls (?)so it's usefull without this remote.
So,I spent about $ 2000 for nothing.Mr.Welborne doesn't respond on my emails.At the end I ordered a complete attenuator volume comtrol kit separatly which comes with this remote to pay it again,but he didn't send it to me.
Now,I don't know what to do, :?: does anybody has Ultrapath or his attenuator volume control,maybe it's possible to buy some universal remote control unit and to program it to operate with it.All I need is that
someone find a suitable code from original remote.
I found here that one of the boys, Toppsy had the same problem when he ordered W.Labs stepped attenuator,I can't see what was on the end,had he ever receive the remote control from Ron Welborne.
I hope that someone has an idea how to solve my problem.
Will
Old Hand

Post by Will »

Post on here http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/tubediy/bbs.html

Many people got ripped off and some were looking into taking legal action

He moved to a different US State and information was posted giving the State Legal contacts to retrieve losses.
Last edited by Will on Thu May 08, 2008 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Hello Carleo,

Sound a similar story to mine.

To be fair to Ron Welborne in the end I did get all the components including the remote control sender.

However, after assembling the whole remote volume control it didn't work. Nick took a look at it for me and concluded that though the remote sender is emitting a signal this is not being recieved by the volume switch.

After several email exchanges to WL to try to bottom out the cause (long wait between each reply from Ron and same email sent more than once) I did get a reply in March asking me to send the unit to him for repair, but I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Try the following email address you may get a response: wlabs@wildblue.net

The address Ron gave me for sending the kit back is:

Welborne Labs
601 S. Washington #310
Stillwater, OK 74074

Colin (Toppsy)