300b filament module

What people are working on at the moment
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Right-the simple DC 300b heater supply is now up and running,and with the 5V Hammond transformer,diode bridge and 10000uf cap running into 0.5R resistor (2 X 1R in parallel) i am getting 4.8V under load,which was the target.

I'm using the original Chinese 300b that came with the amp and the sound has changed slightly. Seems a tad more low end and a tad less sparkle in the mid. Will try the EH valves later on to see if they make a difference.

The hum is now much reduced and using KLS3 i am not troubled by noise in quiet bits on discs.

It is still my ambition to try one of the current/voltage regulated modules in the future but this will do me for the present.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#17 DC 300B heater supply

Post by Mike H »

What do you reckon on this idea?

Duncan's designer says 20mV peak-peak of ripple at the filament (R1). I should mention the '6 Ohms' would need to be made up by padding resistors as necessary
Attachments
DC-heater-psu.gif
DC-heater-psu.gif (3.7 KiB) Viewed 9812 times

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

What do you reckon on this idea?
The biggest problem (unless you have a source) is finding a 100mH choke thats happy with a coupel of amps of DC
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

I'm having them made? Image

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Hi-the DC supply i made was done that way cos i happened to have a couple of 5v Hammond transformers left over from a dismantled project !

Are 10.5v transformers easy to source ? 10v would be enough if used with shottkies ?

I still would like to go with the Tentlab modules for the 845 when funds permit but in the meantime i hope to try a 10v CT transformer with the cathode resistors in the CT as recommended by our man in Bedford. :wink:

Edmund Burke

andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Philip, what I have got is a 700-0-700 350ma transformer with 10 volt 5 amp windings plus 6.3 winding and 5 volt. Now you got to admit, that's tasty!

I have a couple of NOS 5-0-5 x2 5 amps transformers so they cook 845s a treat.

The original @tractor' had a 450-0-450 transformer with 3 amp 10 volt windings etc - again very useful!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

1,400V @ 350mA? Image   Strewth...

Hold on chaps, it just happens that the TX has four 5V windings on it. I'm sure you could equally as well use 12V. Just needs a bit more 'padding out' Image

andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

You can go 1,400 volts, sure but what's wrong with being conventional with 700 volts or so choke loaded - a brick of joy wrapped in gold foil.

What could you do with that! Nirvana.

1400 volts - well really, what could you do with that that is still relatively safe, that can't be done for 960volts or so !
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

It doesn't bother me, just don't let the health and safety people find out about it is all :D

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

It doesn't bother me, just don't let the health and safety people find out about it is all
Won't tell them if you dont :-)

Darren, still got that 833 going...
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote:
Darren, still got that 833 going...
Now that is one amp i would love to see & hear ! :lol:

Edmund Burke

Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Aye me too!