Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ant
Shed dweller

#13006 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Just ordered my new milling machine, a seig sx1lp

https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogu ... SX1LP-Mill

Went for the biggest i could get in the space available, and not a bad price at just over £650 with the delivery

Shall be able to make loads of things and stuff that i couldnt do with the teeny proxxon one

Need an mt2 er25 collet chuck next, ill get one when the delivery date is confirmed

Nice to buy something new for a change
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#13007 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

Ant wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:11 pm Just ordered my new milling machine, a seig sx1lp
So will you be setting up to take commissions Ant?
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ant
Shed dweller

#13008 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Dunno i havent thought about that, depends how good i can get with it
Principles are the same for the machine whatever the size, but you have to get used to it first they all have their little quirks
Feeds and speeds, its always in the feeds and speeds

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13009 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

I can't help myself, just won an auction for 124 mainly classical CDs for £3.29 + postage. :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ant
Shed dweller

#13010 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Milling machine came today, seems nicely put together
Its a heavy bugger, weight is 50 kilos, luckily mi dad came up with a sack barrow to get the crate in the house.
I need to put the hand wheels on it, and some levelling feet, other than that no assembly.

I need to sort out my work area and move the pillar drill to make way for it, that can get sold no need for it any more. so can the little proxxon milling machine, once ive got it going and im happy that its all fine and dandy and isnt going to blow up or something.

Still a tiddler compared to the bridgeports of this world, but spot on for my needs.

Ive ordered an er25 mt2 collet chuck set off chronos, i cant fathom why all these machines dont come with a bloody collet chuck as standard. The only one i looked at that did was a proxxon ff230 that was 200 quid dearer and alot smaller. Everything else (this, clarke, warco, axminster ect) comes with a drill chuck. Who is going to be daft enough to put milling cutters in a drill chuck....

I also could do with a rotary table with a chuck, in the meantime ill have to make a bracket up so i can use the proxxon dividing head on this compound table as its bolt pattern is for their proprietary micromot standard. But my proxxon drilling vice will fit no problem

The compund table, milling head and all controls are nicely adjusted, no wobble anywhere out of the box

I shall reserve judgement until ive had a proper play with it, but it seems in good order

steve s
Shed dweller

#13011 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

Good stuff Ant, sounds like a nice tool
I'm sure I have a new small milling vice somewhere ..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#13012 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Sounds great Ant.

Next up: DRO on x, y & z... Banggood/AliExpress are your friends there...

Any thoughts on a CNC upgrade?
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ant
Shed dweller

#13013 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Not on this one, i did look at it for the little proxxon mf70 but the kits cost a fortune

shane
Social outcast

#13014 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

We recently moved into a house with electric heating and hot water augmented by a couple of water-filled solar panels.

Slightly nonplussed by the apparent output temperature of the panels this morning:

The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Nick
Site Admin

#13015 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Well I guess if its a sealed system its possible...
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#13016 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by vinylnvalves »

That’s normal to see temperatures well above the boiling point of water, on panels. My recorded max is 177c, if you believe the thermocouple. The system is as Nick says a closed system, it’s almost a self regulating system the water in the panel vaporises meaning it cannot conduct the heat away from the collector, keeping the water that circulates below boiling point. It alarmed me at first when we had it installed, stainless pipes and brazed not soldered joints gave me a clue it would be getting hot.
We can heat the 220 ltrs tank to 65c in a couple of hours, so those panels kick out about 2kW - so much more efficient than the PV panels. So on a sunny day when the tanks heated up.. it gets really hot changing the water to pressurised steam. I have tried to rack my brain for a way of storing this wasted energy easily. I have looked at ground stores- but it needs to be so well lagged it’s not practical.
shane
Social outcast

#13017 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

I wondered about that. I went up into the loft earlier on, where a couple of the pipe joints are uncovered. They’re pretty uncomfortable to touch, but they’re definitely not 144c! Probably nearer 60 to 70.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#13018 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by vinylnvalves »

Good that puts your mind to rest now over this.
As the parabolic collector is encapsulated in a vacuum tube - no means of dissipated the heat out except through the header into which the tubes fit. Would have to get very hot radiate heat through the vacuum. Ours have been on for almost 15 years without issue. I bought our system off someone at work who was moving house and the new owners wanted to knock money off the price, because of this new tangled technology on the roof.
Nick
Site Admin

#13019 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Would have to get very hot radiate heat through the vacuum
Anodes manage it just fine.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13020 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

We are supposed to get thunderstorms from 11pm tonight till early morning.

Just got rain so far.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)