WTB: MiniDSP 2x4

Caveat emptor, Caveat venditor
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#1 WTB: MiniDSP 2x4

Post by Ray P »

Anyone looking to part with a MiniDSP 2x4 unit before I place an order for one from their website.

I'm looking to use one to equalize/crossover the bass section of my Pass SLOB project to intergrate it to the full-range units (that'll be rolled off by band-width limiting the amplifiers) The full-range units will be -3dB at about 150Hz whereas Nelson Pass specifies the LF -3dB crossover frequency as 80Hz - given that the miniDSP will onle be handling the bass section I'm thinking that the 48KHz processing of the standard 2x4 unit will be fine - amplifier for the bass drivers, at least for now, is a Class D stereo unit using the TPA3255 and good for something like 100WPC.

I may eventually replace the MiniDSP with an analogue crossover but for now it'll give much more scope for experimentin with the crossover arrangement.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
ed
retired

#2 Re: WTB: MiniDSP 2x4

Post by ed »

I know I haven't made much progress on my slob project, but I'm still pursuing the LR front end to a pair of 3116. I don't think you ever commented on my post in your slob thread(I think post #238).

Rod Coleman's LR circuit would be so much cheaper than a mini dsp...

just sayin, but I might have missed something en route, it's been a long time since this half finished project went in the pot with all the other half finished projects.

it's Christmas...bah humbug!!!!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ray P

#3 Re: WTB: MiniDSP 2x4

Post by Ray P »

Cheers Ed. There's a couple of things that makes the MiniDSP preferable;
  • it enables on-the fly experimention so I can change the crossover parameters to tune the sound.
  • the bass section will likely need some 'boost'.
Once I get the parameters sorted I may try to implement them in an analogue circuit but that'll likely be the one available on DIY Audio that Nelson Pass designed for the Linkwitz omnis because it also has options for any required equalisation.
chris661
Shed dweller

#4 Re: WTB: MiniDSP 2x4

Post by chris661 »

Ray,
How about a Behringer NX1000DSP? It'd need a silent fan swapping in, but it has lots of options for crossover, EQ, etc, in a reasonably-nice case.

I don't have one for sale, but they're available online. I do have a couple of NU6000DSP amps that I'd be interested in selling, though.

Chris
Ray P

#5 Re: WTB: MiniDSP 2x4

Post by Ray P »

That looks like an interesting option Chris and if I didn't already have the Class D amp (fanless) I might have been tempted as an interim solution, however, if I can pick up a used MiniDSP 2x4 for a reasonable price it works better with leaving my options open to go for the analogue crossover and then maybe substitute a Class AB power amp that I have part built.