Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#13756 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:04 pm It's interesting that Prince Andrew is guilty until proved innocent ( or not)...
They're just protecting the brand.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#13757 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Everything Andrew does suggests he’s guilty . This is over a prolonged period. You cannot therefore blame the media and social sites if they operate under that assumption
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13758 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:50 am Everything Andrew does suggests he’s guilty . This is over a prolonged period. You cannot therefore blame the media and social sites if they operate under that assumption
Dennis, you, of all people, should only rely on EVIDENCE in a court of law to form a verdict.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Greg
Social outcast

#13759 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Greg »

pre65 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:44 am
Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:50 am Everything Andrew does suggests he’s guilty . This is over a prolonged period. You cannot therefore blame the media and social sites if they operate under that assumption
Dennis, you, of all people, should only rely on EVIDENCE in a court of law to form a verdict.
Nope, DQ is right. It is a civil law case where the ‘balance of probability’ is the test. The criminal standard of ‘beyond all reasonable doubt’ does not apply here.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#13760 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Daniel Quinn »

pre65 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:44 am
Look I can tolerate you responding to all my posts , but stop responding with irrelevant clap trap.

What the rule of law as got to do with peoples perception of Andrew I’ve no idea.
Nick
Site Admin

#13761 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Yes, that's the point I think. A verdict is not the same as an opinion. I can have many opinions and I can act on those opinions but they are not all based on the same amount of evidence.

If you were to claim to have seen a unicorn, I would require a lot more evidence to believe that it was true than if you claimed to have seen a red squirrel.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13762 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:54 am Yes, that's the point I think. A verdict is not the same as an opinion. I can have many opinions and I can act on those opinions but they are not all based on the same amount of evidence.

If you were to claim to have seen a unicorn, I would require a lot more evidence to believe that it was true than if you claimed to have seen a red squirrel.
The key word is "evidence".

Claims to have seen a unicorn, aliens, or the Loch Ness monster are not based on "evidence", and any evidence put forward is 99.99% fraudulent.

Edmund Burke

Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#13763 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I made no conclusions about the validity of their opinions , I merely said in acting guilty you can’t blame commentators for assuming he’s guilty

That’s all I said
Nick
Site Admin

#13764 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:33 pm I made no conclusions about the validity of their opinions , I merely said in acting guilty you can’t blame commentators for assuming he’s guilty

That’s all I said
Yes, I was replying to Phils post not yours.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

#13765 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

pre65 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:18 pm
Nick wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:54 am Yes, that's the point I think. A verdict is not the same as an opinion. I can have many opinions and I can act on those opinions but they are not all based on the same amount of evidence.

The key word is "evidence".

Claims to have seen a unicorn, aliens, or the Loch Ness monster are not based on "evidence", and any evidence put forward is 99.99% fraudulent.
Yes, that's because those claims are extraordinary so they will require verifiable evidence if they are to be believed.

However in the case here we have someone who was known to be a acquaintance with two people who are convicted sex offenders, and are known to have provided girls to their wealthy friends. The person in question is wealthy, and there is documented photographic evidence that they were in contact with such a girl. The girl claimed that sex occurred and when questioned the person has provided a strange at best set of excuses for why its didn't occur.

It would seem reasonable to me that it would require a much lower threshold of evidence than a unicorn for us to believe these claims.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13766 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:42 pm
It would seem reasonable to me that it would require a much lower threshold of evidence than a unicorn for us to believe these claims.
I accept that. :)

To be honest what happens in this particular case (Andrew) is not high on my list of things to be interested in.

Edmund Burke

Ray P

#13767 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

pre65 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:44 am Dennis, you, of all people, should only rely on EVIDENCE in a court of law to form a verdict.
Phil instead of responding to Mr. Quinns post's with an auto-response you should read them - he said that Andrew's actions suggest he is guilty and anyway, it's not a 'court of law' situation as its' a civil case so the burden of proof is lower.

Whoops, should have read the other posts first!
Ray P

#13768 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

pre65 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:27 pm
Nick wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:42 pm
I accept that. :)

To be honest what happens in this particular case (Andrew) is not high on my list of things to be interested in.
No Phil, you seem more interested in responding to Mr. Quinn's posts - you don't do yourself any favours by treating his posts as a sort of click bait.
Last edited by Ray P on Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13769 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Ray P wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:25 pm Whoops, should have read the other posts first!
:lol:

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13770 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Ray P wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:31 pm
No Phil, you seem more interested in respondin do Mr. Quinn's posts - you don't do yourself any favours by treating Daniel's (Dennis - what should we call you?) posts as a sort of click bait.
Click bait ?

Certainly not.

I choose when I want to respond, or not. Depends how bored I am at the time. :lol:

Edmund Burke