DIY Transistor Amp Using NVA Boards

For the three and more legged things
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#226 Re: DIY Transistor Amp Using NVA Boards

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Confirmation bias deos not explain aural phoneme . It been hijacked by audiophiles to try and fit a phenomena it wasn’t meant to.

There may be many reasons why we hear what we hear and differences between individuals but understanding these differences is not aided by explaining them as confirmation bias.
Nick
Site Admin

#227 Re: DIY Transistor Amp Using NVA Boards

Post by Nick »

So I said "Confirmation bias doesn't try to explain what we hear"

And you said "Confirmation bias deos not explain aural phoneme"

But its as if you think you are disagreeing with me.

All I am saying is that because of all the biases that the human is prone to (including confirmation) what we hear and what we think we hear is not a reliable method of making engineering decisions. Nothing special about audio.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#228 Re: DIY Transistor Amp Using NVA Boards

Post by Daniel Quinn »

You specifically applied confirmation bias to auditory issues.

Though you have a habit of vagueness , so you could probably argue you didnt
Nick
Site Admin

#229 Re: DIY Transistor Amp Using NVA Boards

Post by Nick »

I suspect what you call vague I would call precise. But no matter.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#230 Re: DIY Transistor Amp Using NVA Boards

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Vagueness is the opposite of precise , so I’d have to be an idiot to mistake one for the other .

If you think your writing style is precise I would revaluate.

There is nothing wrong with ambiguity but it hard to be ambiguous and precise.
Nick
Site Admin

#231 Re: DIY Transistor Amp Using NVA Boards

Post by Nick »

Unless you are describing something that is ambiguous. Or must be ambiguous because of the understanding of the listener.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#232 Re: DIY Transistor Amp Using NVA Boards

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I don’t agree you have to use ambiguous language to describe something that is ambiguous . And if your audience doesn't understand tough.

And I say that as an electronic numpty
Nick
Site Admin

#233 Re: DIY Transistor Amp Using NVA Boards

Post by Nick »

Ok. Tell me precisely the decimal value of the ratio of a circle's diameter to it's area.
Nick
Site Admin

#234 Re: DIY Transistor Amp Using NVA Boards

Post by Nick »

Oh. And how would you distinguish between a precise description of a ambiguous thing and an ambiguous description of the same thing. How do you determine if the ambiguity is in the description or the thing being described?
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#235 Re: DIY Transistor Amp Using NVA Boards

Post by Daniel Quinn »

You are hiding behind my ignorance

I’m fairly sure you wouldn’t know Anthony Giddens theory of structuration , an attempt to unite individualistic and collective social theory . But I’m positive I could explain it without ambiguity even though the theory itself is a little ambiguous.

You’re writing style in ambiguous out of choice not subject matter

There is of course a lot to commend such a style
Nick
Site Admin

#236 Re: DIY Transistor Amp Using NVA Boards

Post by Nick »

Whatever, I can cope just fine without living up to your requirements.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#237 Re: DIY Transistor Amp Using NVA Boards

Post by Daniel Quinn »

You’ve mistaken an observation for approval.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#238 Re: DIY Transistor Amp Using NVA Boards

Post by Cressy Snr »

Have tidied up a few loose ends on the amp with NVA boards (wish I knew what to call this bloody thing!)
Anyway…I moved the power switch to the front panel because I was sick of grovelling around the back just to switch the thing on and off. I also changed the two control knobs for something a bit better looking. The black paint kept coming off the other pair of knobs, making them look tatty, so off they came.
In the end I removed the phono boards from the amp. They are good sounding but I’m fed up with mobile phone handshakes with cell towers breaking into my listening. Life’s too short to put up with fecking stupidity like that!
58903C7A-48AE-4014-8CB3-7FA58F4BEC12.jpeg
58903C7A-48AE-4014-8CB3-7FA58F4BEC12.jpeg (95.84 KiB) Viewed 1818 times
I managed to fix the MoFi phono, only for the blasted wall wart to pack in. Why are a lot of switching wall warts provided with otherwise good hi-fi components such utter pieces of crap? In the pic below, the PSU with the wooden front has been reconfigured to put out 24V. It’s unregulated, but it’ll do for now. At least the MoFi is working, sounding good and there is no mobile phone breakthrough to interrupt vinyl sessions.

A slightly battered old Linn Mimik CD player now sits in the system, courtesy of our Ant and it sounds frankly terrific. If I hadn’t been so pissed off with my LP12 at the time, I would have bought one of these years ago.
94607DE0-DD34-4517-AACC-744095A52503.jpeg
94607DE0-DD34-4517-AACC-744095A52503.jpeg (57.5 KiB) Viewed 1818 times
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#239 Re: DIY Transistor Amp Using NVA Boards

Post by Cressy Snr »

The solid state NVA whatchamacallit will be the permanent fixture in the system now. Every time I use a valve amp, these days, my brain starts shouting LECCY! LECCY! LECCY! LECCY! at me non stop until I restore the solid state class B status quo. I can’t be doing with it. Anyone for gainclones?
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#240 Re: DIY Transistor Amp Using NVA Boards

Post by Daniel Quinn »

It’s a sad day when the cost of electricity is a factor in our hobby .

Robbing bastards , nationalise essential services .