R.I.P. Billy Woodman (ATC speakers)

The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#1 R.I.P. Billy Woodman (ATC speakers)

Post by The Stratmangler »

Chris :happy3:
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#2 Re: R.I.P. Billy Woodman (ATC speakers)

Post by The Stratmangler »

Just for clarification, ATC speakers were an essential part of studio monitoring in the 1970s up until the present.
Whether you use them or not, recordings held as benchmarks will probably have been tracked , monitored and mixed whilst using ATC speakers.
Chris :happy3:
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#3 Re: R.I.P. Billy Woodman (ATC speakers)

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I remember Bill Woodman - had several phone conversations; gentle, polite and knowledgeable I finally plucked up courage to ask him which speakers he used at home - ATC10s - these are the smallest in the range bookshelf speakers. To drive them properly you need a solid state amp of massive proportions. I tried many that worked but lacked and finally found an American Aragon amp hit the spot.

ATC10s could sound astonishingly good.

I've heard several of the ATC100s- the kind found in many a studio. Immense, powerful, sharp, fast, stunning. Not for me though, Bedford Towers could not accommodate them without howls of protest from the surrounding villages.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.