Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#14611 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by vinylnvalves »

With the death of my old HP workstation, I need to replace it, so I can use my CNC machine, and run some limited analysis to support my audio projects, Basic vibrations and forced response analysis. The old workstation was a quad core jobby, circ 2008. Decided to go down the laptop route, so I have more freedom where I can use it. Based on my company laptops a dell precision 4800, and a 5510, I am after something with a similar spec and performance. Can anyone recommend an IT reseller/refurbishment company, as looking online, I am looking the wrong side of £800 for an 6 to 8 year old machine, and if spending that sort of cash, don’t want an abused machine. ( like my work ones - dropped, immersed in coffee etc :? )
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14612 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

I'm playing bowls in Sudbury later on today (16:30) and if the thunder I can now hear turns into rain, I'm gonna get wet.

But, we do desperately need the rain, so I shouldn't complain.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14613 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

pre65 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:48 pm I'm playing bowls in Sudbury later on today (16:30) and if the thunder I can now hear turns into rain, I'm gonna get wet.

But, we do desperately need the rain, so I shouldn't complain.
Just had a phone call from my opponent, and we've agreed to play the match on another date. He did not fancy getting wet either. :)

Edmund Burke

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14614 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Is it even possible to play bowls in the rain? I mean, will it upset the trajectory of the bowls or whatever you call it? :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#14615 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Daniel Quinn »

The weather is 34 and sunshine in Minorca

I’m of to get evening meal.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14616 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:06 pm Is it even possible to play bowls in the rain? I mean, will it upset the trajectory of the bowls or whatever you call it? :D
Yes Mike, any change in weather conditions can change the bowls trajectory to a greater or lesser degree. When a green is very wet the bowls bias almost disappears and more effort is needed to "chuck" the bowl up the green.

Morning or evening dampness, how much sun, and wind, and when the green was last mowed all have an effect. That's where the skill lies, in understanding how to adjust to the changing conditions.

In club games, we normally stop for heavy, or persistent rain, but in bigger competitions you just get a few minutes to put the waterproof gear on.

I remember one competition when all players were ORDERED off the green because a big thunderstorm was right overhead and the organisers were worried we might be struck by lightening. :shock:

Edmund Burke

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#14617 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

pre65 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:33 pm ... the organisers were worried we might be struck by lightening. :shock:
Some people like a paler skin tone...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14618 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

:lol:
pre65 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:33 pm Morning or evening dampness, how much sun, and wind, and when the green was last mowed all have an effect. That's where the skill lies, in understanding how to adjust to the changing conditions.
Well who'd 'ave thunk. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14619 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

pre65 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:17 pm On the short drive from my Tuesday morning walk to home there are some roadworks, controlled by temporary traffic lights.

As I approached the lights were green, but before they changed to amber the green light flashed a few times.

I've never seen that before, but it seems a good idea.
I saw this online,

"I saw loads in Lithuania. In theory, they are to warn drivers that the green phase is almost over so they could ease off, In practice drivers floor the accelerator to make sure they get through.

Maybe your local contractor has been buying signals from abroad !!"

I also read (somewhere) that they may not be legal in the UK. :shock:

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

#14620 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

In theory, they are to warn drivers that the green phase is almost over so they could ease off, In practice drivers floor the accelerator to make sure they get through.
Well yes, who would not have expected exactly that to happen.

From my old understanding (and it may have changed) the idea of a traffic light is that if its green, it means you should expect it to change as you approach so you should prepare to stop. If its amber, then you should stop, but if you are so close you cant stop safely, then you can continue. Red means that you must stop. Amber has never meant prepare to stop, it means stop. So I don't see what in practice flashing green adds.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14621 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

pre65 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:26 pm The digital clock in my Honda CRV is part of the radio / CD / Sat nav unit, and it has developed a fault.

Every time I switch the ignition on the clock now displays 1:00 and starts counting. :shock:

I've since discovered that there is a problem with a "chip" (starting Jan 1 2022) and that it might reset itself in August 2022.

Most annoying.
Would you believe it ?

The car clock has started working again, could have been any time since I last used the car on Tuesday afternoon.

Edmund Burke

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#14622 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Klargester = not my friend

Disks stopped turning, so had it pumped out and got a service engineer in...

Main drive shaft has snapped!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DaxjbafA6e6R6eBt8

The replacement shaft is a mere £830 and the work will involve 2 engineers and a digger driver for a morning. Total cost will be around £2,000 as basically most of the moving parts will have to be removed (using a digger as a crane), dismantled, new shaft fitted and then all replaced. In the interim, it has to be pumped every 7 days (at £140 a time) as it's not processing so if not emptied before the liquid level rises too far it'll pump raw sewage round the garden.

Criminally poor design. There should be no way that shaft could break.

I'm cooking up a shitstorm (SWIDT) for Klargester. Terrible piece of engineering.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14623 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

jack wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:13 pm Klargester = not my friend

Disks stopped turning, so had it pumped out and got a service engineer in...

Main drive shaft has snapped!
Perhaps you and your family have tough shit ? :lol:

Seriously, I thought Klargester were the market leaders in this field, so you would perhaps expect better reliability.

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14624 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

"Japan urges its young people to drink more to boost economy"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-62585809

Edmund Burke

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#14625 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

If you're an Apple user, you might want to take note - this is actually a Safari bug (CVE-2022-32893).

Reading the CVE, it looks like a bug-bounty find and not something the wild, so probably still "only a theoretical risk":

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -ipad-macs

I can probably find an equivalent article on the Daily Mail, but my morals and sense of self-worth won't let me go there.