Yay! New toy

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Nick
Site Admin

#76 Re: Yay! New toy

Post by Nick »

Well, if it wasn't for the current requirement, it looked ideal for £300.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#77 Re: Yay! New toy

Post by Ray P »

Another RTZ DAC lives! This is a breadboard build, combining spare parts that Tony and I had around. I need to do some minor snagging before it is passed on to a mutual friend in the new Year. It accepts a PCM input as it has a module on the DAC imput that resamples PCM to DSD256.

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ray P

#78 Re: Yay! New toy

Post by Ray P »

Finished the snagging today, primarily replacing the output header, which was a bit iffy connection wise, with wired connections to a pair of phono sockets. I also added a heatsink to the LM317 in the 5V power supply - I noticed it was getting quite hot so I'm assuming the PCM2DSD module pulls a bit more current than the reclocker board I had used with it previously.

Anyway, I've just been listening to it for a couple of hours, which can't be a bad sign.

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#79 Re: Yay! New toy

Post by Mike H »

Fab. :thumbleft:

'Snagging'?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ray P

#80 Re: Yay! New toy

Post by Ray P »

Mike H wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:42 am 'Snagging'?
Borrowed from the building industry Mike, the remedying of minor defects - in my case just making small improvements to make the build a bit more complete/resilient.

https://www.newbuildinspections.com/abo ... -snagging/
Nick
Site Admin

#81 Re: Yay! New toy

Post by Nick »

Given the word, I suspect it actually (like a lot) derives from the textile industry originally :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#82 Re: Yay! New toy

Post by Mike H »

Isn't the English language wonderful. :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#83 Re: Yay! New toy

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:19 pm Isn't the English language wonderful. :lol:
SNAG.

Etymology 1
From earlier snag (“stump or branch of a tree”), from Middle English *snagge, *snage, from Old Norse snagi (“clothes peg”) (compare Old Norse snag-hyrndr (“snag-horned, having jagged corners”)), perhaps ultimately from a derivative of Proto-Germanic *snakk-, *snēgg, variations of *snakaną (“to crawl, creep, wind about”).

Compare Norwegian snag, snage (“protrusion; projecting point”), Icelandic snagi (“peg”). Also see Dutch snoek (“pike”).[1]

Noun
snag (plural snags)

A stump or base of a branch that has been lopped off; a short branch, or a sharp or rough branch.
Synonyms: knot, protuberance
A dead tree that remains standing.
A tree, or a branch of a tree, fixed in the bottom of a river or other navigable water, and rising nearly or quite to the surface, by which boats are sometimes pierced and sunk.
(by extension) Any sharp protuberant part of an object, which may catch, scratch, or tear other objects brought into contact with it.
A tooth projecting beyond the others; a broken or decayed tooth.
Synonym: snaggletooth
(figuratively) A problem or difficulty with something.
Synonym: hitch
we hit a snag
A pulled thread or yarn, as in cloth.
One of the secondary branches of an antler.
Synonyms: tine, point
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#84 Re: Yay! New toy

Post by Mike H »

:thumbleft: