Garrard type A

301, 401, plinths and assorted idler stuff
jimangus
New User

#1 Garrard type A

Post by jimangus »

Hi all,

does anyone know how much one of the above turntables is worth, an elderly gent just down the road from me has one for sale, i had his pye mozart pre/power but have no use for the tt.

i did however promise that i would try and find out its value for him.

as a new user i cannot post the link to the vinyl engine reference but it is there if you don't know what one looks like.

kind regards

jim
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

Post by richardcooper2k »

Look on Ebay ?
Thoughts are just little stories that our brains tell us !
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Couple of prices I've found on the net were in the order of £120

One on eBay from America here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pristine-Garr ... 41689de1a4

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

Post by richardcooper2k »

Thoughts are just little stories that our brains tell us !
jimangus
New User

Post by jimangus »

is there a for sale bit on this forum ?
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

There certainly is :)

Buying And Selling

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

I never realised they had picked up in value. I have one which last time I looked was worthless. Just shows it's better to hang fire until somthing you consider will be come collectible but isn't yet.

Far harder decision to buy something which you think will become collectible. But to hold something not too difficult.

I had this with a house once, bought a house for £20,000, youths got in and burned it to the ground. Insurance company only offered me £12,000 compo, which I took as I am no good at fighting institutions, part of my dyslexia.

Offered the burned out shell to dutch auction. Was offered £4,000. I decided no I will hold it until values pick up in the area where it is.

5 years later houses on that street were exchanging for £70,000. So I spent 6 months of my life and £20,000 of borrowed money (mostly credit cards) completely restoring it. Sold it for £73,000.

If I sold it for £4k I would have capitalised the loss.

I may be dyslexic and at the mercy of red tape paper work institutions and academic qualifications. But I'm not stupid!
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Paul Barker wrote:I had this with a house once, bought a house for £20,000, youths got in and burned it to the ground.
WTF ... :shock:

Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Ye well I think we are going to see a lot more of that.

I rebuilt it and sold it fast within 6 months they trashed it again. I knew it was the right thing to sell it.

That was when I learned the valuable lesson location location location!

but sadly this behaviour is spreading like a fire. No pun intended. I find it sickening and have suffered at the hands of these ferol youths. They also threatened my life I was nearly one of those middle aged men found kicked to death defending his property. At that very time there were a few similar cases where the middle aged husband and father were killed. It was only the fact that I had a cold chisel in my hand when the ring of them surrounded me in the back alley and because I used to be in the university Karate team (though I don't believe in fighting) they sensed I had the instinct. I don't like to contemplate that I would have gone for the throat of the biggest one with my chisel and the rest would have scattered, because I was never tested. I think it best I didn't do it as he would have been dead. But I was for a flash in a life and death position.

But I am not stupid I didn't go back alone I went with an joiner who was an amateur boxer and his brother a doorman. They never approached us again.

I have never had to use my former skills and don't believe in doing so, but you never know until you are in that position what you will do.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Jimangus,

http://garrardmatters.freeforums.org/index.php