Jokes

A place for the funny stuff
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#181 Re: Jokes

Post by Mike H »

:lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#182 Re: Jokes

Post by pre65 »

A look at sports on TV as only Benny Hill could do.

Funny in places but could not be shown on the TV these days.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#183 Re: Jokes

Post by Mike H »

Excellent! :lol:

The tennis net gag, hysterical. Image

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
shane
Social outcast

#184 Re: Jokes

Post by shane »

For me, one of the few real benefits of the 21st century is that Benny Hill isn’t part of it.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#185 Re: Jokes

Post by jack »

shane wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:21 pm For me, one of the few real benefits of the 21st century is that Benny Hill isn’t part of it.
The fact that the French for some bizarre reason actually love him explains a lot about why we were at war with them for so long...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
shane
Social outcast

#186 Re: Jokes

Post by shane »

Strange people, the French.

The one good thing about Benny Hill is that the wonderful Steve Bray has been able to pinch his signature tune and now blasts it at our government members at every opportunity. Brilliant!
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#187 Re: Jokes

Post by IslandPink »

jack wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:46 pm
The fact that the French for some bizarre reason actually love him explains a lot about why we were at war with them for so long...
I'm trying to make head or tail of this one but not making progress. When were we last at war with the French, remind me ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#188 Re: Jokes

Post by jack »

IslandPink wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:46 pm
jack wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:46 pm
I'm trying to make head or tail of this one but not making progress. When were we last at war with the French, remind me ?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-French_Wars

Btw. I've lived and worked in France and was at school in a French speaking canton of Switzerland. I love the French but they can be very... fickle.

Any country that comes up with a sausage made of conger eel and pike cannot be trusted.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#189 Re: Jokes

Post by IslandPink »

Yes but they more or less developed cycle racing, and make lovely wines in almost every region. Are these not enough to tip the balance ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#190 Re: Jokes

Post by jack »

IslandPink wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:56 pm Yes but they more or less developed cycle racing, and make lovely wines in almost every region. Are these not enough to tip the balance ?
Not really. I. The last few 100 years England (latterly Great Britain) and France have had at least 33 wars and 6 major crises. On the other hand, the Portuguese (amongst whose excellent countrymen I feel privileged to count myself) have NEVER had a war with these fair isles

If you include the alleged 365 varieties of cheese, I might be swayed, especially Comté and Beaufort (specifically Beaufort d'alpage, my favourite).
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#191 Re: Jokes

Post by pre65 »

I'm rather partial to fourme d'Ambert and a good few slices of saucisson with fresh baguette. :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#192 Re: Jokes

Post by andrew Ivimey »

When faced with an assertion that the French love Benny Hill what I wonder does that mean - factual evidence - sources- by whom????? and so on.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
ed
retired

#193 Re: Jokes

Post by ed »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:30 am When faced with an assertion that the French love Benny Hill what I wonder does that mean - factual evidence - sources- by whom????? and so on.
+1

it had me scratching my head as well.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#194 Re: Jokes

Post by jack »

ed wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:14 am
andrew Ivimey wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:30 am When faced with an assertion that the French love Benny Hill what I wonder does that mean - factual evidence - sources- by whom????? and so on.
+1

it had me scratching my head as well.
Well, far be it for me to suggest that your try Googling for "why do the French love benny hill" etc. but you never know, you might find something...

Their love of him might be at least in part because he apparently spoke fluent French, even down to regional variations, and holidayed there often, plus they just love slapstick.

https://tv.parrotanalytics.com/FR/the-b ... ow-bbc-one - still in the top 10% demand for comedy programs in France. Of course, that might be because French comedy, like their "pop" music, is mostly execrable, but that's just my personal opinion...
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#195 Re: Jokes

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I did - not much evidence - all opinion.

That anyone Eeeenglish can speak or attempts to speak a foreign language I'm,imho, commendable .

No excuse though for childish sexist nonsense.

I find it hard to see Pierre & Marie Renard, Michelle Ben Sousan or Abdi Mohammed chuckling as they chuck a pile of onions over their shoulders, mount their bikes and cycle off to petit dejeuners of coffee croissants and escargot...it doesn't work!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.