Squeezebox woe

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 Squeezebox woe

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I am finding that when I add more .flac files to my external hard drive or PC hard drive accessed, through wi-fi connection, the squeezebox won't recognise the files. The files are playable on PC using foobar but they are not found by the Sqeezebox. Both hard drives are more than half full but miles from being near full up.

This is downright annoying.

They are 'virgin' .flacs, not copies, they haven't been placed in new folders or moved and dBpoweramp gives an accurate rip seal of approval. I have tried re-recording to no avail.

I can't think of what to do. This is downright pissy!

HELP! :? :cry:
Clive
Old Hand

Post by Clive »

Have you told the Squeezebox server (assuming you're using it) to rescan the directories to add the new files?
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

As Clive says. I usually just stop squeezebox server and then start it again. Any new files will then be added. If that doesn't work, try a wipe and rescan.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

As Clive says. I usually just stop squeezebox server and then start it again. Any new files will then be added. If that doesn't work, try a wipe and rescan.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

If using slimserver:

the only way to see newly added files without doing a rescan is to browse the music folder.....

that should show all newly added files......any other way fo accessing will use the slimserver index which only shows what a rescan has added
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
James
User

Post by James »

I also had this issue.

It turned out that I had LAME encoder incorrectly configured and it was not appending the track data to the ripped files, although they were named correctly. Slim server could not identify the tracks so they could not be found on the squeezebox.

Took a while to work that one out !

James.
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Clive & Ali - yeas I do do that.

James, this resonates with me. What is LAME? If it is this problem, how do I set about fixing it? It is as if something is not fully added to the rip.
James
User

Post by James »

Hi Andrew,

I use EAC & LAME to RIP CD's to MP3's. (yep, I know flac is better but I never did get around to changing)

EAC extracts the CD data and Lame encodes it to MP3 Files.

EAC Calls the LAME encoder as a command.

In the tools tab of EAC, there or some options to create CUE sheets and .m3u playlists on extraction. I ticked these boxes and it fixed my problem.
I am not sure exactly how the track data is recovered and passed to the encoder, but this certainly fixed my problem.

It only arose after reinstalling LAME and EAC on a new computer, so maybe the default settings in lame have changed with the versions.

I found the issue because if I looked at my ripped files in windows 7, it did not display the track data at the bottom of the screen. After ticking these boxes and re-ripping it did, and slim server then "found" the tracks.

I am not sure which software you are using, but it may me a similar issue.

I also had a problem with slim server not searching for new music some years ago, But that was on a linux server and is more than likely a solved issue now.

I now use slim server running on windows home server and this works without issue for at least 4 years.

James.
James
User

Post by James »

Hi Andrew,

I use EAC & LAME to RIP CD's to MP3's. (yep, I know flac is better but I never did get around to changing)

In the tools tab of EAC, there or some options to create CUE sheets and .m3u playlists on extraction. I ticked these boxes and it fixed my problem.
I am not sure exactly how the track data is recovered and passed to the encoder, but this certainly fixed my problem.

It only arose after reinstalling LAME and EAC on a new computer, so maybe the default settings in lame have changed with the versions.

I found the issue because if I looked at my ripped files in windows 7, it did not display the track data at the bottom of the screen. After ticking these boxes and re-ripping it did, and slim server then "found" the tracks.

I also had a problem with slim server not searching for new music some years ago, But that was on a linux server and is more than likely a solved issue now.

I now use slim server running on windows home server and this works without issue for at least 4 years.

James.
James
User

Post by James »

Hi Andrew,

James.
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Tell me three times eh! :D

I'm using dBpoweramp and it is exclusively to .flac . It sounds like this is the same problem and I guess I'll have to experiment round and see if I can get to it work properly.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Have you tried turning it off then on again?

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Yes. It doesn't work when it's off, but it works when I turn it on again. :D
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Ali Tait wrote:Yes. It doesn't work when it's off, but it works when I turn it on again. :D
There's a future career in IT for you Mr Tait :lol:

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

:D :D :D