Squeezebox woe

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Dave the bass wrote:
The Stratmangler wrote:
You have learned well, Grasshopper :)
<bows and serenely walks away>

:-)

DTB
Clapping with one hand. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I've been trying, over the last few weeks, to be able to describe what I think is wrong with the onboard DAC of the SB.

I still firmly believe that it is extraordinary value for money.

But the words a bit 'ragged' and a touch 'squawcky' come to mind and tonight, having a very good listen with what is an extraordinarily good system I am now sure that these adjectives are close to the truth. We could compare the original vinyl of Ah Um, Prokofiev's Cantata and a few others and sure the SB alone was proud, impressive but wanting. It was hugely impressive, smooth and dynamic however when a RAKDAC took over the DAC job and I have been told in no uncertain terms that I have no excuse for not knocking up a decent PSU; given also that this would be very easy to do.

'No time, no time' he whined!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

PSU Andrew!

Simple LM317 in pre-regulator config with a second will sort it for very little outlay...
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yep, I am biased, but what Neal said.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

yeah but 317 - yuk city! I was thinking about 15 volt regulator into 9 into five volt regulator, high quality caps a choke or two - well you get the idea - even try 12 volt dry cell into regulators - anything other than the wall wart.

What amazes my is that all you young bucks with SBs just don't knock up something... anything that is better than a wallwart... but if you do, you don't let on!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Playlists - sounds like a good idea - juke box jury - I'll give it Five but really I wonder - how on earth does one compile a 'playlist' ???

I feel a tsunami of nostalgia coming on and I want to categorise it.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Andrew, what size plug is on the end of the "wart" PSU for the squeezebox ?

I built a 12v PSU for my Shek DAC and it's not in use at the moment, the plug is 5.5mm in dia.

If it's the right size you can borrow it to try.

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote: juke box jury - I'll give it Five
Janice Nicholls ?

Edmund Burke

SimonC
Old Hand

Post by SimonC »

Paul Barker wrote:well you'll notice I have no way of helping you so I don't offer any misguided opinion.

If I could afford a SB I would have one on the say so of those people with them whose opinion I value. But I can't so I won't. but I am picking up the impression there are software glitches whether SB's fault or not, they seem to dog some of you.

ME? It's hard enough geting Linux to work off a new printer. I have to cut and paste other peoples instructions into terminal, on average takes half a day. Do you think I want to try integrating a SB? Maybe if you gave me one I might. But I don't look forward to it.
Hi Paul,

If you are serious about wanting to borrow an SB on long-term loan drop me a PM. Due to a change in domestic circumstances I have a late model Classic gathering dust that I could bring to Owston. :-)

Simon C
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

SBs are 5 volts, Philip - ta.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

andrew Ivimey wrote:yeah but 317 - yuk city! I was thinking about 15 volt regulator into 9 into five volt regulator, high quality caps a choke or two - well you get the idea - even try 12 volt dry cell into regulators - anything other than the wall wart.

What amazes my is that all you young bucks with SBs just don't knock up something... anything that is better than a wallwart... but if you do, you don't let on!
Well, the young doesn't work in my case, but as I say, I am biased, I make these

http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/powe ... upply.html

And

http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/viny ... -1210.html
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

andrew Ivimey wrote:yeah but 317 - yuk city! I was thinking about 15 volt regulator into 9 into five volt regulator, high quality caps a choke or two - well you get the idea - even try 12 volt dry cell into regulators - anything other than the wall wart.

Well if you are going to get all sniffy over my suggestion of the LM317.... :D
Then you could go upmarket for more money and use an ALW super regulator and put the icing on with a Gyrator (cap multiplier) as the pre-regulator...

Nice supplies Nick, hope business is good!
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Cheers Neal. Just finished playing with a modified version using a little regulator in a small in line box about 6" from the Touch. Not a three pin this time, just for fun its an error amp, mosfet and some stacked caps. Surprising what you can pack into a 50mm square PCB :-). The same board fits nicely inside a Tec 1210 body as well for use with that.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Reading the above, I think I've just acquired another winter project then... a linear PSU for the SBT for compare/contrast purposes :-)

A quick trawl around the Squeezebox forum comes up with this post.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost. ... stcount=35

and the cct is here...

http://home.comcast.net/~johnswenson1/stereo/SB_5V.GIF

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Dave, I have got a couple of unused Hammond 159ZJ chokes as used in that circuit, one for you and one for Mr I ? :)

Edmund Burke