Luddite's squeezebox debut.

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
little eddy
Old Hand

Post by little eddy »

Sorry to kidnap Phil's thread but having just got a Touch, have a similar problem.

I have created a new folder 'WAV' where I have saved believe it or not all my WAV files. In media server in the 'media folders' I now only have the WAV file referenced. I rescanned but the Squeezebox still seems to pick up some other files, I think through an iTunes folder in my music.

Why when I rescan is it not getting rid of all my other music files and how can I ensure it olnly picks up the music files from the directory I have referenced?
TD-125/RB250/MC25FL & 'Snail' phono, NAS/SBT with CS4398 DAC, 41MP pre & MoFo Power, still messing with OBs.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

There's a check box some where in the server settings for use 'iTunes Library' try unchecking it...
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

There's a check box some where in the server settings for use 'iTunes Library' try unchecking it...
little eddy
Old Hand

Post by little eddy »

Neal wrote:There's a check box some where in the server settings for use 'iTunes Library' try unchecking it...
Getting somewhere - unticked iTunes box but also selected 'clear library and rescan everything'.

I have now lost most/all of the unwanted stuff but now on the Squeezebox, it looks like every album is duplicated but with unknown album/artist assigned to these duplicate records.

Edit - All of these unknown albums/artists, there is only one track, each time referred to simply as 'track 1'.
TD-125/RB250/MC25FL & 'Snail' phono, NAS/SBT with CS4398 DAC, 41MP pre & MoFo Power, still messing with OBs.
little eddy
Old Hand

Post by little eddy »

Still not sorted the album duplication but now bought a Netgear NeadyNAS Duo and also the DBPowerAmp ripping software.

Both seem to be working fine independantly but for this novice: How do I copy files from my C: drive to the NAS, or better still, can I rip directly to the NAS using the DBPowerAmp?

When I am in windows explorer, or maybe trying to save a file from say the DBPowerAmp, I can't see the NAS in the folder menus. Is this usual? Do I need to configure it on the network or something like that or cannot it be used as if it were a second hard drive?
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

You can just drag and drop the files between the two if you have both windows open at the same time, but have a look in dbpoweramp and you can set the path for the ripped files to take. Make a folder on the NAS, call it "music" or some such, then find the button for setting the path on dbpoweramp (lower left if memory serves) click the button and there will be an option for browsing the files on your computer. Look for your NAS, open it and select the music folder you have created and click ok. The music files will then automatically be stored there whenever you rip a disc.
little eddy
Old Hand

Post by little eddy »

Ali Tait wrote:find the button for setting the path on dbpoweramp (lower left if memory serves) click the button and there will be an option for browsing the files on your computer. Look for your NAS... .
But I can't see the NAS under 'my computer' or 'my network places'. Obviously I have to do sonething else to identify the NAS on the network!
little eddy
Old Hand

Post by little eddy »

[quote="little eddyBut I can't see the NAS under 'my computer' or 'my network places'. Obviously I have to do sonething else to identify the NAS on the network![/quote]

Sorted. Somehow managed to find 'add a network place' and behold music playing from the NAS that was ripped direct from DBPowerAmp. Very pleased with myself so can sleep contented now.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Well done Mike, the first steps in networking are a bit of a challenge but sounds like you've done it.

You should be able to map a drive letter to a particular folder on the NAS too which you might find helpful. For instance, in Windows if you go to the Tools menu in Windows Explorer and select Map Network Drive you can select a drive letter say M: and point it at your music folder on the NAS drive. If you tick the Reconnect at login box it should be there each time you switch on. Then you can click on the drive letter instead of navigating to the device and folder.
little eddy
Old Hand

Post by little eddy »

Squeezebox and NAS going fine until last night when it started pausing while it said it was 'rebuffering'.

I have it on wireless at the moment so is there anything I can do with the settings, might it be the router settings, or would I be better getting a long ethernet cable?
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

little eddy wrote:Squeezebox and NAS going fine until last night when it started pausing while it said it was 'rebuffering'.

I have it on wireless at the moment so is there anything I can do with the settings, might it be the router settings, or would I be better getting a long ethernet cable?
I think your issues are more likely due to a combination of inappropriate file type, and that the ReadyNAS might be struggling too.

WAV playback on Squeezebox systems takes a fair chunk of processing, as the players deal with FLAC natively.
Chris :happy3:
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

...or theres something amiss with the wireless, interference, slower devices on the same network etc.
little eddy
Old Hand

Post by little eddy »

The Stratmangler wrote: I think your issues are more likely due to a combination of inappropriate file type, and that the ReadyNAS might be struggling too.

WAV playback on Squeezebox systems takes a fair chunk of processing, as the players deal with FLAC natively.
I am using 'Lossless uncompressed' FLAC via dBPowerAmp
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Are you able to wire the Touch to router via ethernet cable?
little eddy
Old Hand

Post by little eddy »

Ali Tait wrote:Are you able to wire the Touch to router via ethernet cable?
Kids aren't playing on the Wii tonight and all seems OK. Nevertheless an ethernet cables sounds like being more secure.