One phase ends, another begins

Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 One phase ends, another begins

Post by Cressy Snr »

Tomorrow is my last day as a teacher.
Mixed emotions really, but it is the right thing for me, I think.

Next term I start a new life phase as a Higher Level Teaching Assistant in the school where, as a respected and loved Supply Teacher I have been covering a sick absence.

I had been looking for a cover supervisor job in another school, but the Head made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I snatched his hand off.
So next term I will still be helping the youngsters achieve their potential, but will have none of the paperwork, and far less stress.
I'll also have only half the money I was on, but it will be a regular income for the first time since Nov 2005.

Quality of life should be much better. :)
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: One phase ends, another begins

Post by pre65 »

SteveTheShadow wrote:
Quality of life should be much better. :)
Quality of life WILL be much better.

Good luck in your new position. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Cool, best of luck with it.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Yes the red tape and paperwork in most jobs has gone through the roof. Must be nice to back away from it.

I suppose a job with guaranteed wage is better than not many schools wanting to pay full teachers wages to supply due to the rules change that has put teachers out of work.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Well done Steve for making the commitment to change that will better your situation. I'm sure you are mindful that having previously been a deputy head, the role you are taking on is contrastingly difficult because you'll never forget your actual professional capability. I completely understand what you have done because of my own experience of work in a lifetime in public service. As you know, on leaving the Police, I moved into a job with the Local Authority which completely stressed me out and in consequence I resigned. For the last 15 months I've done nothing occupationally and just done stuff around the house etc. I'm now bored with that and I'm in the process of setting up a company with my brother in law offering inventory services to the property letting trade. I expect to be seriously trading and receiving income in January. I'm just saying this because you seem to be managing you circumstance within a very limited and comfortably familiar environment. IMHO it is well worthwhile breaking out and moving into a new area. It'll be daunting. I'm seriously challenged because of what I've taken on but I'm determined to make it work and learn the business on the fly.

I think what I am saying is, being in the same occupational environment for a long time can easily narrow your expectation on your personal capability. Don't allow that to happen. You are a highly competent organiser and manager. Your previous occupations has proved that. Now make that work for you and find something to do that directly financially benefits you, based on your personal skills. PM me if you would like to know more about what I am doing. I know there is a significant and lucrative opportunity for you here if you are interested.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Paul Barker wrote:
I suppose a job with guaranteed wage is better than not many schools wanting to pay full teachers wages to supply due to the rules change that has put teachers out of work.
Aye, my last P60 showed I had earned £11,000, about a term and a half of work. I was contacted directly by different Heads. The agency got me nothing in between. In fact I have sourced all my own work this year, yet the Agency takes their cut and charges the school way more than they pay me.

I can earn £13500 as an HLTA with a hugely reduced stress factor and get holiday and sick pay. It is a no-brainer. £13500 might not sound like much, but when you have no mortgage and are debt-free, it is quite a nice little wage.

Thanks for the advice Greg. At the moment, I'm content to do what I'm doing.
I'm fast becoming one of those hippy downshifters.

I'm thinking of going into business with Phil. I'll be building OTL amps, he'll be doing exotic DHT preamps to go with them! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

SteveTheShadow wrote: I'm thinking of going into business with Phil. I'll be building OTL amps, he'll be doing exotic DHT preamps to go with them! :lol: :lol: :lol:
:D :D :D
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Good for you Steve, I wish you all the best. I can sympathise with the paperwork side of things. Once upon a time, my job consisted of actually getting a job built. Now, all I do is paperwork. It's no fun at all anymore. I work for myself and am well paid, but I think about jacking it in and going back on the tools at least once a day, just to get away from the stress if nothing else!
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Good for you Steve, I wish you all the best. I can sympathise with the paperwork side of things. Once upon a time, my job consisted of actually getting a job built. Now, all I do is paperwork. It's no fun at all anymore. I work for myself and am well paid, but I think about jacking it in and going back on the tools at least once a day, just to get away from the stress if nothing else!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

SteveTheShadow wrote: I'm thinking of going into business with Phil. I'll be building OTL amps, he'll be doing exotic DHT preamps to go with them! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nice one Steve. :wink: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
ed
retired

Post by ed »

congrats Steve

thats a nice bit of news at Christmas..happy days!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Nice one Steve :)
Best of luck.
Chris :happy3:
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

well done steve, these are always seem really big choices, but once made and you live with it, you dont give it much more thought

as a qualified teacher they may well be asking you to step in to cover sickness etc, but i doubt if thats what you want...
hope it don't slow your always interesting builds that you document

all the best...
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Best of luck, Steve!
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.