Earth calling....earth calling....

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

thomas wrote:So was it any good?!

How was the err ahem 'dancing display'?!
OK, to be harsh I'd give it 5 out of a possible 10. A bit better than I was expecting, but not the stuff of legend. Excited trousers stayed in the wardrobe. Nik came on to introduce the evenings proceedings and gave a bit of background to the original Space Ritual, Bob Calvert, Liquid Len and Barney Bubbles all got name checks and 'spect's. Sorta went downhill from there really! :lol:

2 fella's doing quote Nik "wibbly noises" which was OK but over done IMO, the keyboard had an operator too, seemed superfluous to me, didn't seem to add anything sonically. The guitarist looked and sounded more than a tad under-rehearsed. Drummer was 'ok', didn't over play, just kept it solid. Alan Davey the bassist really was the unsung hero IMO, he gave ALL the cues to the rest of the band (inc.Nik). He REALLY knows Space Ritual (the album) inside out, really impressed with him, his musicianship and attention to detail especially in Lemmy's original bass parts. Respect is due. The Calvert impersonator looked the part but the inter-linking poems were read from a pseudo dusty book and were read in a bit of a 2D cardboard fashion, lacking proper awe/fear/doom-ness. They had another young fella come on to do Brocks vocals,he was good too, knew the parts well and Alan obviously had enough faith in this guys singing to dothe vocal harmonies with him. Hoaxwinds sax player was good too, he only came on at the end. Nik was Nik, (noodlin'!)long solo's that the majority of the band played over instead of supporting or paying attention too for starts/stops/ cues etc etc etc. Alan again tried to keep him reigned in possibly. Wibbly wobbly Stacia-esque 'dancer' natch.

Had to giggle during the into/Countdown, "woooaarrrrhhhh, quad sound system I thought."... the band were blasting away from the FOH PA system and there's this strange effect coming off the walls... it was the fire alarm system going off in sympathy!!! Brill! :lol:

The (dayglo coloured) audience were good, about half filled the hall, 300 ish I'd guess.

Glad I went, if only to prove to myself my suspicions were correct, but oh for a highly competent killer line up of mega muso's sympathetic to the special-ness that Space Ritual as an album deserves (IMO). But thats probably me making it into summat it never was intended to be though I get the nagging feeling it'd be sooo much better that way. Hallowed ground? I Dunno.

Good venue, never been there before. Shep's Spitfire in bottles too, whahey. :lol:

I do feel a bit smashed today though.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
thomas
Old Hand

Post by thomas »

I do feel a bit smashed today though.
Something went well then! :D

As our roving reporter I've lined up another gig for you....

ww.orchardtheatre.co.uk/Online/default.asp?doWork::WScontent::loadArticle=Load&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::article_id=692B4FF1-4AE5-4EAA-9DDE-4428A2D7154C

Gertcha self there!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Did you mean this Thomas ? You lost a w

https://www.orchardtheatre.co.uk/Online ... 28A2D7154C
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Done already, no really! Bet you're right down the front and got the full VIP package Thomas :)

DTB
thomas
Old Hand

Post by thomas »

Did you mean this Thomas ? You lost a w

Thanks for the spell check Phil!

Done already, no really! Bet you're right down the front and got the full VIP package Thomas
Ermm Nooooo... :shock:
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

No!? Wha.....! :)

The RPO have 2 gigs darn Dirtfud this year too, Jun + Nov. Booked.

Gigs a go go.

DTB
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

So, to round off this thread and the 'kind-of-album' that Space Ritual is...

JTS and me were sitting down our local chatting over a good pint each when a couple of strangers sit down at the end of the pew seating and start chatting like they haven't seen one another for years. "Here's yer albums back after 25 years" one jokes after he hands over a crumpled carrier bag. 2nd bloke sneaks a peek inside the bag and I can tell from 15ft away its a reissue (in gatefold, non-foldout) of Space Ritual. 4 hours later we've left the pub after an evening of muic related chat between complete strangers that musically aren't strangers. A lot of shared gigs and experiences. Powerful stuff.

The end.

:)

DTB
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

I'm just wondering if I've got Space Ritual . I know I have the first album ( which I like a lot ) and another 1 or 2 ....
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

its a reissue (in gatefold, non-foldout) of Space Ritual.
Thats part of the point, spending hours trying to turn it back into a LP sleeve.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Yes I have it :D and have just played the first two sides.
I have decided after careful consideration, that it is safe to recommend to the general public .

Space is not large and it is not small !

I look forward to sides 3 and 4 , perhaps with breakfast tomorrow ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

IslandPink wrote:Yes I have it :D and have just played the first two sides.
I have decided after careful consideration, that it is safe to recommend to the general public .

Space is not large and it is not small !

I look forward to sides 3 and 4 , perhaps with breakfast tomorrow ?
Shrooms for breakfast? :-)

Space does not love, and neither does it try
Nick wrote:
its a reissue (in gatefold, non-foldout) of Space Ritual.
Thats part of the point, spending hours trying to turn it back into a LP sleeve.
When I was a tiddler I decorated my bedroom with it (and a few other LP covers), no need to spend hours folding it back together that way + more time to concentrate on the music!