What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Share the music that moves you.......
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#5431 Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Post by The Stratmangler »

The tunes are the same as the ones you already know :D
The additional material from the sessions is a very interesting listen.

The 2022 mix is very nice too, with some cutting edge audio processing to isolate various elements
https://www.thebeatles.com/announcing-r ... editions-0
Chris :happy3:
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#5432 Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Post by simon »

Thanks for posting this Chris. It's one of my favourite albums and I had a listen earlier whilst cooking tea, only on a half decent smart speaker thingy, but Ultra HD on Amazon Prime is clearly a huge improvement on the cheap Yugoslavian pressing I bought over 30 years ago. Think I will have to invest on the vinyl.

As I was streaming it automatically continued on to the additional material which I wasn't aware of. I don't know if it was because I know the music so well but I really got a lot out of the tracks I've heard so far. If anything the music is purer and I have a greater respect for their musicianship. Very interesting.

Erk! £32 for the single disc vinyl version!
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5433 Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Post by IslandPink »

I dunno, I've been burnt on recent re-issue vinyl many times. I'm very familiar with the original mono version, but 'with some cutting edge audio processing to isolate various elements' is not yet enough in itself to convince me.
I will do more digging, it's one of the GREAT albums, let me get back to you ...
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Greg
Social outcast

#5434 Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Post by Greg »

IslandPink wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:55 pm I dunno, I've been burnt on recent re-issue vinyl many times. I'm very familiar with the original mono version, but 'with some cutting edge audio processing to isolate various elements' is not yet enough in itself to convince me.
I will do more digging, it's one of the GREAT albums, let me get back to you ...
I also have been caught out many times with poor quality re-issue vinyl, however, in my experience, all the George/Giles Martin remixed and re-issued Beatles albums are first class and a great improvement on the originals. I have their remixes of Sgt Pepper, The White Album, Abbey Road, Let it Be and the even better Let it Be (Naked). Also the double Love album being George Martin’s personal reworking of various Beatles tracks. I have Revolver on order. Of course, if original authenticity is important to you, you may prefer to remain with your original pressings, but in my view, that would be a sad intransigence😀.
You can always trial them first through a decent streaming service before you commit to buying the vinyl.
Last edited by Greg on Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#5435 Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Post by simon »

Spot on Greg. I have the Sgt Peppers remix and whilst it might not be for those who value authenticity, sonically it's very impressive. I would only listen to the remix now.
Max N
Old Hand

#5436 Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Post by Max N »

Rhiannon Giddens - They're calling me home
th-290764819.jpeg
th-290764819.jpeg (24.55 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5437 Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Post by IslandPink »

Time for a download, i think ... thanks.

In the meantime, I think everyone needs a few exploding notes, now & again :

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5438 Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Post by IslandPink »

Tonight on the monitor :
61x0ndIdxXL._AC_.jpg
61x0ndIdxXL._AC_.jpg (60.13 KiB) Viewed 1162 times
And some insight into the recording, here -
WaitsRD.JPG
WaitsRD.JPG (39.38 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#5439 Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I've just had the pleasure of the new REVOLVER. Listening on imho the best system I've ever heard, it is quite remarkable and different. £20 from Amazon I'm told.

Greater clarity, more dynamic range and it sounds different tonally too (than any other version I've listened to).

Very enjoyable whether it is clever marketing or not I would guess that a great deal of work has gone into this. Is it the first of the whole catalogue - that would be expensive.

Name and shame - there never has been much difference or quality in the varied re-working of DSOTM.

The latest boxed set of Electric Ladyland is in the same league as Revolver.

The obsessive multi CD set of Uncle Frank's Roxy Concerts are superb quality but not much mass appeal I'm afraid.

Are there any more of the new Beatles music????.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Greg
Social outcast

#5440 Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Post by Greg »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:55 pm I've just had the pleasure of the new REVOLVER.
See my post above.
ed
retired

#5441 Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Post by ed »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:55 pm I've just had the pleasure of the new REVOLVER. Listening on imho the best system I've ever heard, it is quite remarkable and different. £20 from Amazon I'm told.

I might have missed the point but isn't the revolver re-hash unique in respect of the process at the moment...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63226914
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Greg
Social outcast

#5442 Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Post by Greg »

Yes, you are right, Mark. However, Giles Martin’s reworking of the other later albums retains the authenticity whilst presenting a much higher quality and enjoyable sound. Sgt Pepper is a particularly good example. Also, Let it Be Naked is very good being reworked in a way Paul McCartney would have preferred the original to have been. Well worth a listen through a streaming service before committing to a vinyl purchase.
Last edited by Greg on Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrew Ivimey

#5443 Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Sorry Greg, I didn't understand your post. You mean there are more in s series, Revolver being the most recent or Revolver is the first of what may become of a series with George Martin doing the fandoodle high tech stuff???
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
andrew Ivimey

#5444 Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Post by andrew Ivimey »

George Martin's son that is Giles.
Greg
Social outcast

#5445 Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Post by Greg »

Yes, Giles Martin is George Martin’s son.

So Giles, together with his father on a couple of albums has been reworking George Martin’s originals using the original tapes. Giles has been working backwards through the discography and has so far completed, Let it Be, Abbey Road, Sgt Pepper, The White Album and now Revolver. As said above, also check out the alternative Let it Be Naked and the double album, The Beatles “Love”.