Amity Horror becomes Amity V2 becomes …

What people are working on at the moment
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I am looking forward to hearing in Andrew, I never got a chance to hear Marks version.

Without trying to start he SE/PP wars, what will interest me is less what the PP can do that the SE won't, I am fully aware of the restrictions of SE( but the 211 is designed to address a couple of them). But more what will be of interest to me, is does it do what PP normally can't and SE finds very easy. And also does it not do the thing that PP normally does that puts me off PP.

Hopefully that makes some sense to somebody.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

er, right, Nick :wink:

Well we'll see. Thinking about it and I REALLY don't want to be contraversial, the best (valve) amplifier I have heard which was also supported by the best of turntable and phono/preamp and wonderful Tannoy speakers is an enormous PP jobbie. I'm lucky enough to be able to plug my Amity into this system and get frank and positive criticism.

I think 211SE really does do the business though. My Ongaku is not bad at all. I am very glad I have it. It certainly addresses the welly aspect that PP can do easily. But it takes something very special to do more. I hadn't heard a PP amp that did do more, frankly, until relatively recently.

I think Amity does more than give me welly plus - but it isn't that powerful after all; 9watts or so.

Some of us with more skill and knowledge have built similar to this one.

Hasn't Neal got a 2A3PP in the offing, too? My other 2A3PP amp is going to have a blast tonight, really just to show me, (I hope) that Amity is quite special and not just another PPamp.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Andrew,

Well done. James and I are really looking forward to hearing some of these PP designs this time around and in all seriousness, that is with no axe to grind :D Hopefully we'll have some constructive discussion around the issues Nick raises on this. I wasn't going to bring anything to Owston but I am now wondering if bringing my amp (original WAD 300B PP clone) might give us a reference from which to work from, maybe for an hour on Sunday. What do you all think?

Best wishes,

Greg

PS. Taking on board views previously expressed by others, I have absolutely no interest in a PP vs SE challenge, infact no interest in any challenge at all. Just want to discover good sounds, what works for me, interested in what works for others and what all the options are.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Hi Greg

I'll see if I can get my drivers sorted out for the 6AS7 pp amp and get it back together for Owston. Then we will have at least 4 push pull amps there and 5 if you bring yours.

I'll leave the PX25 amp for another time, maybe the next Whitham.

Should be a good comparison for the Sunday.

Steve.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Hi-with my 832A PP i will bring the QQV valves that Shane is going to be using to see if the "panel" have a preference.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Talking of different valves. I'll bring the spare 6336A to try in the PP amp.
It is so much better than the 6080 it isn't true :)

I just hope the transformer will stand 10A of heaters. I'll test this at home before doing anything silly at Owston of course.

MWAHAHAHA :twisted:
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Hi Greg/All,
On a purely selfish note,as you know I've an original WAD 300b PP,and I'd like to hear a comparison of this against yours Greg,just out of interests' sake as mine is a stock item(AFAIK) apart from the valves,just to hear how worthwhile the mods you've done to yours are.I could also bring the Mr Liang if anyone's interested in hearing it (probably not...) :)

Regards,Ali
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

pre65 wrote:Hi-with my 832A PP i will bring the QQV valves that Shane is going to be using to see if the "panel" have a preference.
Now I'm really peeved that I won't be there. Let me know the outcome, everyone!
AndyNehan
New User

#54 Amity horror...

Post by AndyNehan »

Well we had a good listen today.

Previously it had awesome tone(the most dificult of all attributes to successfully reproduce) but a buggered top.
So now with the K&K constant current sources (2540's) cascode etc. It sounded much better. The great tone was lost but the overall presentaion was good.

Then we replaced the 40mfd Obligato with a 10mfd 40 year old oiler. Wow it came alive (are the Obligato's dog pooh or what).

Overall it now sounds very good.Were not there yet but there is much promise.

Look forward to further improvements.

Andy
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

andrew Ivimey wrote: I was able to try the amp out with massive tannoy speakers / schroeder arm etc etc etc (i.e. a superb system).
Would this be you, Andy?
AndyNehan
New User

#56 Yes you surmise correctly

Post by AndyNehan »

Andy
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

"Previously it had awesome tone(the most dificult of all attributes to successfully reproduce) but a buggered top.
So now with the K&K constant current sources (2540's) cascode etc. It sounded much better. The great tone was lost but the overall presentaion was good. "

Hmmmm :?

MJ
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Not a problem Mark, then we put in the ancient PIOs for the drivers' ultrapaths and ..... not bad, not bad at all!

Last thursday I was really in the doldrums; those CCSs were a bugger and I had lost something in the sound - I'd put in 30mfd of Obligatto in for ultrapath and it did not sound right. Now it does sound right and the detail is wonderful.

I'm happy with the sound now; so cheerful infact that had I not been working today I'd have started on a suitable version of Raven as a preamp, or done those backloaded horns I mean to finish, or even just listened to the music. I did do very briefly some Ella Fitzgerald, John Barry and Brandenbergs though - very nice indeed.

Andy's suggested 'improvements' I would guess are a total and tidy rebuild and £240 on a pair of Audionotes. I'm a bit reluctant to do the latter.