Valve circuit simulation advice please

If they glow, this is the place to be
Michael L
Old Hand

#1 Valve circuit simulation advice please

Post by Michael L »

I would like to learn more about valve operation by initially making up Spice simulations. I've seen this simulation software mentioned a lot but maybe there is something more suited to my needs.
Could anyone please advise what I should use and if there are any good tutorials for valve circuits.

Thanks

Michael
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

LTspice (free) and Norman Koren's models (free). Some of my uploads are in the Stacks forum.

Note simulation is only as good as the information given, if info is wrong then sim will be wrong. I say that only because of subsequently comparing sims against real circuits, from which the model needed to be modified.

Also Koren's valve models are limited in terms of what you can do with them, basic common cathode amplifier or cathode follower is OK, anything much more exotic than that and strange things start to happen.

HTH

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Appendix ~ for help / tutorials see LTwiki

http://ltwiki.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Michael L
Old Hand

Post by Michael L »

Thanks Mike. I'm starting from scratch as I have never designed an amp -- SS or Valve though I have some theory from college years back and I've assembled some kits.
I want to use the tools to improve my knowledge of valve circuit operation as I would like to build something, probably from someone elses plans initially.
JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD »

Intact Audio Forum - Sim City. All about LTspice and tube models.

http://www.intactaudio.com/forum/viewfo ... acdeb2b1f9

Great forum with loads of valve models and simple tutorials.

James
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

The way I learned to design amps was first to read the relevant books.

Spice should come after loads of knowledge base foundation work from books.

Start with Valve Amplifiers and progress to Radio Designer's Handbook.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein