SS rectifier + FW rectifier

We all start somewhere
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 SS rectifier + FW rectifier

Post by pre65 »

Hi-i am mulling over a few things in relation to a possible future project.

On the Duncan power supply calculator,if i enter my toroidal transformer details (360-0-360) using the 6D22s damper diodes do i enter the voltage as 360v or 720v.

Also,when using a SS diode bridge,followed by a 5U3C (same as 5U4G) FW rectifier i will get a 44v drop,but will it remove any more (probably small) ripple ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

A question for Nick-on your new 211 amp with the 6D22s diodes did you have to "elevate" the 6.3v heater voltage ?

Specs say +200/-600 :?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

When I was talking about that amp on eBay Philip, if it was using a bridge it was probably a bridge of two diodes and two halves of a 5U4G. Do you still get the voltage drop? interesting...

If you use a bridge of SS and then 5U4G I would say you will still get the voltage drop. But you can get 1.4 X the windings voltage so the 44volt drop may not be important if you bridge both secondary HT windings.

E.G. 360-0-360 with one bridge rectifier then cap, choke,cap can give up to 1.4 X 720 volts - phew! What's 44 volts then?

I don't know the answer to Duncan's software as I almost never play with it. Try different values and get what you think should be the right answer. That will tell you.