Every home should have one

Share the music that moves you.......
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

The Mozart is availible here http://www.diversevinyl.com/htm/results ... 000000&kw=

Regards
Chris :)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Gong - You.
Al Stewart - Past Present and Fuchia
Hawkwind - In search of space
Jethro Tull - This Was
EBTG - Amplified Heart

(As of 9.50AM 28/4/2008).

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

How did I forget Gong? :oops:
Audiognome
User

Post by Audiognome »

I might as well have a go ...

Caravan - In the Land of Grey & Pink
(for pure distilled melodic "englishness") :)

Ozric Tentacles - Pungent Effulgent
(for pure distilled psychedelic mushroom fuelled weirdness) :shock:

Led Zep II
(for pure sleaze) :twisted:

Hawkwind - Warrior on the Edge of Time
(just because) :roll:

Woodstock
(not very original, I know, but just because there's just so many performances in there that blow the socks off the studio versions. I'm thinking CSN, The Who, TYA, Santana, etc) 8)

Floyd at Pompeii belongs in there somewhere (was it ever available as audio-only?)

All of them old, analogue recordings. Oh dear ....

Nigel
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Hawkwind - Warrior on the Edge of Time
I was torn about that one in my list, but I guess I went for Space Ritual as it was live madness instead of studio madness. That was before the seperate live list started of course :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Thanks for the Diverse Vinyl link for the Mozart, Chris. I've just ordered a copy :D
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Let me know what you think of it, Greg. It's woven into the fabric of my life, but I don't know anyone else who's heard it.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Will do Shane. I love the Clarinet Concerto and the bonus is Horn Concertos 1 & 2 which is also favourite. I do have slight reservations about re-issues on labels such as Speaker Corner. I've had a couple of crumby pressings so I'm hoping this one is sound.
Last edited by Greg on Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Greg wrote:Thanks for the Diverse Vinyl link for the Mozart, Chris. I've just ordered a copy :D
You're more than welcome Greg - let us all know what your impressions are.

Regards
Chris :)
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Shane,

I promised I'd get back to you on this. My copy arrived today. Diverse did not hold it in stock and had to apparently source from Germany, hence the delay.

Played it tonight and I have to say I am well satisfied and impressed.

Firstly, it's a totally flat disc which sits fully on the platter and the centre hole is right so it slips over the spindle easily. I did not detect any of the experiences of bad tracking and added mush/noise I've previously had with so called audiophile pressings :D

Being an analogue recording, there is some tape hiss detectable in quiet passages which I expected and being inclined towards this type of recording, easily exclude from the experience as it hits my ears. Anologue users will understand where I am coming from on this. There is also some very low level sound rumble occasionally. At first I thought it might be subsidarily recorded underground train sound that is well documented, but having listened through I don't think so. I think it is simply the effect of the recording environment. Please realise, in order to say this, I'm explaining that my system is very revealing and certainly there is no identifiablerumble from my TT.

This recording on both sides is exceptional in its dynamic presentation. It really is as close as you could expect towards a live sound. Everything is well up front even with full orchestra. There is no hint of that compression of sound so readily heard on classical recordings when things get a bit complex.

Sound stage is not over wide but naturally within the speaker spread and there is some nice 3D depth. Certainly I enjoyed recognising the strings and other instruments sounds coming from where they should be in the orchestral stage.

As much as I love this music, I don't experience the same emotional effect Shane does albeit, I probably connect better with the 2nd side horn concertos than I do with the first side clarinet concerto. Nevertheless, this is a classic and top quality recording. If you like this stuff, you should buy this. Cost was £22.40 total including delivery.

Probably my lasting impression is one of significant disappointment. This is a reproduced 1960 recording which clearly now produces the sound as we listeners want. What the hell is going on today regarding recording standard? This 48 year recording blasts away anything else I've heard in terms of modern recordings. I won't be around but I really wonder what listeners will experience in 2056? I don't care because I'll be dead. I just think it is a shame that the moving on world will miss out.

Best wishes,

Greg
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

Post by richardcooper2k »

so here are my ones that when i listen to i think "i like this so much, why havn't i listened to it for so long ? "

apart from those covered on other threads - zeppelin 1,2,3; hendrix, ac/dc, nirvana

dire straits, the tracks "private investigations" and "romeo and juliet"

bjork - debut

santana - abraxas

joan armatrading - joan armatrading

enya - watermark

elvis costello - greatest hits

beck - odelay

a jazz compilation album - sampler album for the jazz reactivation series