Colin's gm70 Boat Anchor monoblocs

What people are working on at the moment
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I would be far better suited to building stuff on breadboards.
Nuffing wrong with that. Its all I can manage.

:-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

It takes a gargantuan effort to achieve what Collin has, but 90% of the work is the success of the circuit, well done Nick.

I haven't yet breadboarded the amp I want someone like Collin to build.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Paul,

Yes Paul, a big effort and lots of lessons learned in the process, but like Nick I'm really chuffed with the final result.

Nick and I were debating a little the commercial possibility the amp and what we could get away the asking price, but £6k really Paul? Any takers at price and I'll get building tomorrow! I'd have thought that was stretching it a little. Nick and I thought perhaps £4.5K in line with the price of the DeHavaland gm70 amp. But then what do I know. The original intent of the design was just for my personnal use. But the enthusiastic response we've recieved to date would suggest there is a ready, albiet small, market for the amps.

But we must wait until I get the replacement TentLabs unit and then run them in for a week and with fingers crossed they will at the least emulate the performance of the original breadboarded amp. I've already received phone calls a couple of local mates who want to come round my place for a listen when they're up and running.

First public outing for the amps will be WithFest event end of September. So we'll see some of you guys there.

When you're ready with your amp design Paul, let me know and I'll see what I can knock together for you.

Colin
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

There are people with 6k burning a hole in their pockets for the right amp, these people don't go into a restaurant and read the menu from right to left, they read from left to right, I want that, they don't even look at the column of numbers on the right which is a meaningless set of information.

the same is true in audio.

You just have to make it look worth that money, best not put a gainclone chip in it, but you might aswell.

You are not trying to sell to the diy community they are a bunch of balding overwaight middle aged and older anorachs who read menus from right to left..

Get the Chinease stuff out of your mind. You have to rise above it, there is no way of competing with them.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Back before you came on "the scene" (of balding overweight middle aged and above anorachs) Excludes Nick and Dave with all that enviable hair.

Darren (another well known anorach) and myself wanted to do a joint project of making a 212 amp looking something like yours and we would have sold it for £20k at a push but we really wanted to aim for £50k.

Trouble is I never did get happy with the circuit.

I don't think the perfect circuit is the answer. I think a usual sound is adequate it has to look unusual, that's all. Let their minds fill in the gaps.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Paul Barker wrote:There are people with 6k burning a hole in their pockets for the right amp, these people don't go into a restaurant and read the menu from right to left, they read from left to right, I want that, they don't even look at the column of numbers on the right which is a meaningless set of information.

the same is true in audio.

You just have to make it look worth that money, best not put a gainclone chip in it, but you might aswell.

You are not trying to sell to the diy community they are a bunch of balding overwaight middle aged and older anorachs who read menus from right to left..

Get the Chinease stuff out of your mind. You have to rise above it, there is no way of competing with them.
There's a lot in what Paul says here, I've lost a couple of customers as my plinths where too cheap....it takes all sorts....
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Excludes Nick and Dave with all that enviable hair.
Unfortunatly its falling out faster than it grows. One reason not to get it cut, it might not grow again.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Actually (and talking about Colins money here), I think it would have been hard to spend more money on the amps internals than we did. Ok, we could have thrown money at it getting silver involved in the transformers, or just using a more expensive (though I doubt much better if at all) supplier, but other than that, its all as good as it neds to be.

Ok, we could have used 8 WKz's in each of the GM70 supplys to add an additional £800, but other than that not much.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Paul Wrote: Back before you came on "the scene" (of balding overweight middle aged and above anorachs)
Hey come on now. An overweight middle aged and above anorach I may be but bald I ain't. I'm proud of my full head of hair even though it is pure white. :lol: :wink:

But your point is taken. Need to discuss this with Nick to see where he wants to go with the amp and form a possible partnership and develop other exotic projects!! Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself and need a quick short sharp knock on the head?

Anyway for any forum members that may lack some construction skills or the woodworking machinery to make a bespoke cabinet I could with the right persuasion offer to make some up for them, pending what other builds I have on at the time.

Colin
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

well, in my idealistic world view, it depends on how it sounds, see what people actually think of the sound.

But in reality, as Paul hinted, it doesn't matter, all you need is the right names to say its great, and away you go.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

well, in my idealistic world view, it depends on how it sounds, see what people actually think of the sound.
Agreed.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Nick Wrote:Actually (and talking about Colins money here), I think it would have been hard to spend more money on the amps internals than we did. Ok, we could have thrown money at it getting silver involved in the transformers, or just using a more expensive (though I doubt much better if at all) supplier, but other than that, its all as good as it needs to be.
Well Nick, we could put the whole amp in a deep freezer/cryo unit and advertise it as the worlds only Cryogenically treated audio amplifier quoting it imparts that extra degree of added magic and sound quality. :wink: :wink: And perhaps used some real exotic extra special hook up wire only available to us. But then we would have to ask at least £1k more for the amp! If you know what I mean. :lol:

Joking apart I have to agree with you Nick. One thing I would change though is the Chromed copper top. I would replace this with non magnetic stainless steel and have it CNC lazer cut as you have suggested in the past.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

some real exotic extra special hook up wire only available to us.
We did use wire only available to us. The only place you can get the wire that lives under my bench is from me. Ok, you can get another reel from Rapid, but its not the same one. And its limited as well, when its gone there will be no more (unless I buy another one).

And in tests, it was the best sounding.

Trust me, I have compaired the following

1. The wire under my desk
2. A kipper
3. a drinking straw

And in every test, the amplifier sounded better when the magic wire was used.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

AH yes! But I bet with the Kipper the amp was really SMOKIN!
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Toppsy wrote:
Nick Wrote:

Joking apart I have to agree with you Nick. One thing I would change though is the Chromed copper top. I would replace this with non magnetic stainless steel and have it CNC lazer cut as you have suggested in the past.
If anybody wants a cutting service I can accommodate Stainless Steel, or any other metal/material as long as you provide a proper drawing. Pref in CAD format.

Best wishes
Darren