How could anybody be THAT good at ANYTHING ??

Share the music that moves you.......
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#106 Re: How could anybody be THAT good at ANYTHING ??

Post by The Stratmangler »

ed wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:19 pmI think my stage piano has the ability to re tune but I don't know whether it allows individual notes to retune or just the whole instrument....I will consult the manual if I can find it and report back....don't hold your breath though cos I haven't touched it(the piano) in over ten years....
Does it have tempered tuning?
The 5 hour video one sounds like it's very bad tempered :wink:
Chris :happy3:
Nick
Site Admin

#107 Re: How could anybody be THAT good at ANYTHING ??

Post by Nick »

ed wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:19 pm Oh yeah...I think this is closer to where Nick is coming from in terms of tutelage...but as far as referring to any given note is concerned, I'm with DTB on this, i.e always refer to the key sig..no such thing as a # in a b sig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCyNnAMEUXQ

I still haven't mastered the art of inserting a youtube link and getting a graphic......pah!

I think my stage piano has the ability to re tune but I don't know whether it allows individual notes to retune or just the whole instrument....I will consult the manual if I can find it and report back....don't hold your breath though cos I haven't touched it(the piano) in over ten years....
interesting video. But no, I agree entirely that there is no such thing as a # in a b sig, I was just trying to allow Chris to have more than 11 notes in the drummer playing guitar clip. And just trying to out pedant Dave that in a non equally tempered world then the notes actually vary in frequency depending on the key the instrument is tuned to. And if they are in a different key then what was a b may become a #, and because of the non equal tempered problem may actually be a different frequency.

The 3:2 ratio for a perfect fifth thing is the simplest way I know of pointing out why a equally tempered system is in one sense out of tune by more or less amounts. The 3:2 ratio is what you would get if you were trying to find a 5th interval out of a string by looking for harmonics. But if you use that interval to generate your octave you end up with a inconsistent set of intervals where a cycle of those intervals don;t take you back to where you started.

And before you say that its just a made up thing based on numbers, so is the twelfth root of two ratios that the equal temper system is.

Takes me back to realising why analogue synths uses a log converter for frequency so it was 1v per octave, not 1v per 1000Hz or whatever.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#108 Re: How could anybody be THAT good at ANYTHING ??

Post by ed »

art, science...music, maths..whatever

If I understood one tenth of it I still don't think it would be any more important. I still think the reference to David Pinnegar was valid though because I'm sure this was what he was pursuing.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
ed
retired

#109 Re: How could anybody be THAT good at ANYTHING ??

Post by ed »

The Stratmangler wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:39 pm
Does it have tempered tuning?
The 5 hour video one sounds like it's very bad tempered :wink:
As I recall it was always me that got bad tempered...it seldom did what I wanted it to do....and that's entirely because I'm not a very good piano player.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#110 Amelia

Post by IslandPink »

I could have put this on the other thread, but after a short while, realised it has to go on here.
Rick likes Joni !
Any guitarist should find this pretty interesting, not to mention the rest of us :

"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#111 Re: How could anybody be THAT good at ANYTHING ??

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Wonderful! I love listening to people who really care about an artist breaking down and showing how, what and why a song is as it is. I've never looked at the enormity of Joni Mitchell's stunning poetry and music- this geezer, I'll look him up.

Many thanks for the pointer. Amelia. I just thought it was a lovely song. As always with great artists, there is so much more - fascinating.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#112 Re: How could anybody be THAT good at ANYTHING ??

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Open C tuning.... up or down - outrageous! DADGAD is radical to me. I should get out more ;-)
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

#113 Re: How could anybody be THAT good at ANYTHING ??

Post by Nick »

What in particular I love about that video is unlike most of his (and they are all worth watching IMHO) he starts analysing the song, but then ends up just listening and enthusing.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#114 Re: How could anybody be THAT good at ANYTHING ??

Post by IslandPink »

Yes, I know - I started off watching the 'Paranoid Android' episode, and thought he was missing some aspects of the art, then watched this one, as you say, he just gets lost in the music. That clip of her talking about how she didn't follow Wayne Shorter's advice is just priceless !
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#115 Re: How could anybody be THAT good at ANYTHING ??

Post by Ray P »

I linked to Christine Collister's album 'Love' on the 'What are you listening to' thread; that album includes a fantastic cover of 'Amelia'.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
ed
retired

#116 Re: How could anybody be THAT good at ANYTHING ??

Post by ed »

Ray P wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:48 am I linked to Christine Collister's album 'Love' on the 'What are you listening to' thread; that album includes a fantastic cover of 'Amelia'.
Ahhhh Christine Collister......
the last time I saw her live my wife went into labour during the concert 33 years ago.....not many people know that...even less want to know it, but I thought I'd share anyway.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#117 Re: How could anybody be THAT good at ANYTHING ??

Post by IslandPink »

Formative year(s?) of the Goddess
I wonder why all the men are looking at her ?
Total class :
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#118 Re: How could anybody be THAT good at ANYTHING ??

Post by IslandPink »

I must admit I had missed one of the great singers :

I hadn't thought to buy Dubliners records until now !
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#119 Re: How could anybody be THAT good at ANYTHING ??

Post by simon »

I saw The Dubliners a couple of times in the late 80s, they were surprisingly good and they could all hold a tune. A lot of Irish traditional music is just that, interpretations of traditional music. I have a soft spot for Christy Moore who covers a lot of others' songs but also his own.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#120 Richard Thompson Tour

Post by IslandPink »

Our works outing to see Richard Thompson, October, Manchester Opera House :
RichardT_OperaHouse_Oct21.JPG
RichardT_OperaHouse_Oct21.JPG (43.4 KiB) Viewed 11727 times
My trousers just got a bit excited. They are calming down now.