#16 Re: Edingdale GT, the ultimate Edingdale? Probably

Post by Ali Tait »

Cool, cheers Colin.
zman
User

#17 Re: Edingdale GT, the ultimate Edingdale? Probably

Post by zman »

Hi Colin,

Good to know that you're feeling better and back to doing creative things! Your builds always come out classy, and I'm confident that the new cabs will look nice once finished.

Sound wise looks like you're smitten :) - look forward to impressions from others who get to listen to the Edingdale GTs at your place.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#18 Re: Edingdale GT, the ultimate Edingdale? Probably

Post by Mike H »

Can someone remind me where the Edingdale name comes from. (sorry :oops: )

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#19 Re: Edingdale GT, the ultimate Edingdale? Probably

Post by Toppsy »

Mike H wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:50 pm Can someone remind me where the Edingdale name comes from. (sorry :oops: )
Mike,
The name came from AndrewL's wife Fiona. I live in Rossendale and I already had a then speaker with that name. I was looking for a similar 'dale' themed name for these speakers. After penning a few suggestions Fiona came up with the fictitious place name of Edingdale which we all liked and so they were named.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#20 Re: Edingdale GT, the ultimate Edingdale? Probably

Post by Toppsy »

To continue the vertical 25mm round-over vertical edge of the speakers onto the base needed some form of jig to accurately machine the 42mm radius to the base four corners. After some thought I came up with a simple dowel peg jig to use with my belt sander. The pegs were drilled and glued into some spare 18mm ply and placed 42mm in front of the vertical face of the belt sander which was clamped in place with G-Clamps. Respective 6mm holes were drilled in the base so this could be rotated around the dowel pin to form the required radius. Simples. A 12mm chamfer will then be routed around the top to finish them.

The photos below should be self explaining:
Image Image Image

and for you Apple users:
Image Image Image
Andrew
Eternally single

#21 Re: Edingdale GT, the ultimate Edingdale? Probably

Post by Andrew »

Top workmanship there, as always, Colin.
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#22 Re: Edingdale GT, the ultimate Edingdale? Probably

Post by Mike H »

Yep.

Ta for the explanation! :thumbleft:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#23 Re: Edingdale GT, the ultimate Edingdale? Probably

Post by Toppsy »

OK, so progress on these has been a little slower than I anticipated due to me taking advantage of the recent sunny weather and doing some annual maintenance on the Harley and going out on a couple of rides. Still a little chilly though so the longest ride to date has been to Southport.

Back to the speaker build and I have now completed both cabinets ready for installation of the drivers. I still have one base to complete and hope to have that finished today.

Crossover components were delivered Thursday last week and due to the large size of the Jantzen Z-Cap Superiors capacitors and the fact the filter design that Scott has sent me (a pseudo balanced filter) is a relative departure from our norm I have decided to mount the components in an external box. For this I have been looking at the Bluebell Audio chassis cases. Has anyone in the past, or recently, dealt with Bluebell and would recommend them?

Here are a couple of photos of the build to date:

Image Image

and for you Apple users rotated images:

Image Image
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#24 Re: Edingdale GT, the ultimate Edingdale? Probably

Post by IslandPink »

Superb .
Toppsy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:53 am Has anyone in the past, or recently, dealt with Bluebell and would recommend them?
I bought a choke and transformer ( Hammond ) from him last year, all went fine. I have bought previously as well. I think Ant wasn't happy with the join at the corner on one of his amp chassis's, he sold that one on to me ! ( I'm less picky ) .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#25 Re: Edingdale GT, the ultimate Edingdale? Probably

Post by pre65 »

I've only ever purchased one Hammond chassis from Bluebell and it was fit for purpose. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#26 Re: Edingdale GT, the ultimate Edingdale? Probably

Post by simon »

Philip Ramsey at Bluebell Audio is a legend! I though everyone with a valve amp would have bought something from him at some point, just shows.

Years ago I remember buying a Hammond chassis from him and he told me a story about Hammond's QC being less that perfect sometimes and he'd selected a good one for me. Might have been banter but Philip was always good to deal with. Haven't bought anything from him in ages though.
Ant
Shed dweller

#27 Re: Edingdale GT, the ultimate Edingdale? Probably

Post by Ant »

Yep, that chassis was not up to scratch for me (I am a pain in the arse about mitre joints as you know) but Philip dealt with that super quick
Sent me another one after checking it himself and wouldn't take any more money off me for the second one. Apparently he billed Hammond for it as it was one of a batch that most had the same faults with the joints and he was fed up of having the same problems with them

Nigh on every new TX I've bought has been off Philip or Mike when he was doing the Danbury ones. If i need transformers or chokes I get them of bluebell these days and don't even bother looking elsewhere
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#28 Re: Edingdale GT, the ultimate Edingdale? Probably

Post by Toppsy »

Thanks for the Bluebell Audio feedback. I had bought from him years ago when I used to build electrical things, but wasn't sure his current situation.

Anyway I have just spoken to Philip and ordered a couple of black steel chassis with base plates. Seems it's been over 8-years ago since last I ordered anything from him! My how time fly's by. Must agree, having spoken to Philip he appears a most likable block. Should get my chassis by the end of the week but Philip has said he'll give me a call when they are posted.
Nick
Site Admin

#29 Re: Edingdale GT, the ultimate Edingdale? Probably

Post by Nick »

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

#30 Re: Edingdale GT, the ultimate Edingdale? Probably

Post by Nick »

Looking for Hammond wood case supplies, its surprising where you find pictures of the stuff one makes.

http://www.acoustic-dimension.com/hammo ... hassis.htm

For future reference, Rapid sell the wood surround chassis

https://www.rapidonline.com/instrument- ... 22brand%22:[%22hammond%22],%22series%22:[%22hwchas%22]}
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.