Vortexbox Blues

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#121 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Gooooood Morning!

Thinking time.... Nick, of course the Pi was running picoreplayer and I was configuring it with the lap top..... just badly and it was not a success. I will follow up Simon's lead later but first I'm going to look at Volumio just, as my old mum used to say , for 'cursiosity' though she was usually enthusing about a new bottle of dreadful and very cheap wine from Aldi.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Greg
Social outcast

#122 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by Greg »

If you are looking at Volumio, you might find these attached threads helpful. They’ve been running for a while so you will need to weed through the chaff but I understand they are kept updated and others have found them very useful.

https://theaudiostandard.net/thread/4216/volumio
https://theaudiostandard.net/thread/523 ... k-streamer
andrew Ivimey

#123 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Thanks Greg, funny thing though is that having downloaded the boot disk image, unzipped it and made a boot disk, it doesn't boot up!!!

I was copying a bloke on YouTube and there must be something he's not telling me because the Pi won't boot up.

I'll have a quick look and then it's back to Simon's lead.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
andrew Ivimey

#124 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Ah, ooooo and coo-errrrr.

The screen of the monitor connected to the Pi is plain black ( so I don't need it plugged in) But the Volumino App on my phone is busy. I've got radio stations and the app is scanning a huge hard drive that is connected to the Pi. Sound is coming out of the USB DAC I have connected to the Pi and a boom box.

I expect this will work when the software has finished scanning my huge music library.

But Volumino costs a monthly subscription and I don't want what they have to offer. I only want to listen on what's on my hard drive.

Nevertheless it is hopeful. :)
Nick
Site Admin

#125 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by Nick »

I don't understand why you cant just start with a plain rasberian copy of Linux and install LMS on it?

Picore will do that, but it seemed to be problematic and I think you got sidetracked by things.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey

#126 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Well I guess that's what I do want and yes I got sidetracked, deliberately in the case of Volumino this morning. So back to Simon's suggestion then.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#127 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by simon »

Yep agree with Nick. Start with a nice clean install of PCP, configure as a player. Then set it up to run LMS too, and then mount your NAS.
ed
retired

#128 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by ed »

simon wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:33 pm Yep agree with Nick. Start with a nice clean install of PCP, configure as a player. Then set it up to run LMS too, and then mount your NAS.
Isn't that exactly what I said in post #29 ????
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#129 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by simon »

Probably ed, I'm only skim reading at the moment unfortunately. But it seems like it was worth repeating.
andrew Ivimey

#130 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Isn't that sort of what I half did.....clean install easy, I configured it to nearly work but couldn't get the software to recognise the hard drive that was attached to Pi. Picoreplayer recognised what was on the SBTouch which is wifi connected to the router network and for a while I could play these files through the Pi.

I'm assuming the Pi = NAS? I don't know how to mount it and will return to the instructions around Picoreplayer.
Nick
Site Admin

#131 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by Nick »

Ok, that was why I suggested a standard Linux may be better as it may be a missing driver that's stopping the Picore seeing the USB drive.

Ahh

https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/add_usb_hdd/
If the USB hard disk you are adding is formatted as FAT32 or NTFS you will need to install the “additional Filesystems pack” before you can load and configure the disk.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#132 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by ed »

ah ha!..well spotted
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#133 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by simon »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:35 pm Isn't that sort of what I half did.....clean install easy, I configured it to nearly work but couldn't get the software to recognise the hard drive that was attached to Pi. Picoreplayer recognised what was on the SBTouch which is wifi connected to the router network and for a while I could play these files through the Pi.

I'm assuming the Pi = NAS? I don't know how to mount it and will return to the instructions around Picoreplayer.
I haven't configured a pi in this way so I'm not really sure, but if you've configured the pi as a player I'm not sure if you can hang a hard drive off it or not. I would have thought LMS needed configuring to mount the hard drive? But I could be entirely incorrect!
andrew Ivimey

#134 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

What Nick said, then. I've got some time tomorrow so I'll get back to it.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#135 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by The Stratmangler »

I had to install the additional file systems before LMS could be downloaded and installed.
Chris :happy3: