Changing a sm op amp.

For the three and more legged things
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#31 Re: Changing a sm op amp.

Post by Paul Barker »

To be fair, I dont mind at all about doing this or not, because the one we did in a place near Whitham but not the Witham one, was a complete bore and I can never listen to that music again!

I can just bring what I decided I like. Let the crowd decide. If it happens it probably needs to be rifined down to a choice between 2 or 3 preselected. And not go on too long!
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#32 Re: Changing a sm op amp.

Post by pre65 »

Paul Barker wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:57 am To be fair, I dont mind at all about doing this or not, because the one we did in a place near Whitham but not the Witham one, was a complete bore and I can never listen to that music again!

I can just bring what I decided I like. Let the crowd decide. If it happens it probably needs to be refined down to a choice between 2 or 3 preselected. And not go on too long!
On the A1 opposite the Travelodge and next to the American diner.

Can't say I can remember what music was played.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#33 Re: Changing a sm op amp.

Post by Nick »

Just checked. I have a standard 7510 DAC here from years ago. Never been upgraded, so I don't know how that would compare to yours before your changes. But that can be used for a simple comparison if folk want, without too much ear bashing. They also (at least used to) respond well to better power supplies.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker

#34 Re: Changing a sm op amp.

Post by Paul Barker »

Hm, im using a smps. Cant fault it.

Good idea Nick if it locks on to the signal. Mine was failing to before Stan changed one chip, now it never fails. The Spitfire has to be turned off and back on to catch the signal. Every single time which I dislike.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Nick
Site Admin

#35 Re: Changing a sm op amp.

Post by Nick »

Hm, im using a smps. Cant fault it.
How do you know :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

#36 Re: Changing a sm op amp.

Post by Nick »

Some confusion though on my part, your dac is not the same going back as the one I have, mine is the save as Steve's yours is a bushmaster so not a direct comparison.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#37 Re: Changing a sm op amp.

Post by pre65 »

I've got a Bushmaster mk 11 if that's any help, I use it occasionally with the TV.

I sort of remember it having a replacement chip from Stan, but not 100% sure.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#38 Re: Changing a sm op amp.

Post by Nick »

If I can remember I will bring a power supply to see if it still makes a difference.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#39 Re: Changing a sm op amp.

Post by jack »

Very late to this, but there is a simple trick to desoldering multi-legged packages without a rework station...

Firstly, if there's a lot of solder on the pins, remove most of it with with an iron & some Soder-Wick (tm) or similar...

Get a very thin bit of enameled wire and thread it under the device or under the pins (if the device is flat on the board). Anchor one end of the wire. Starting at one end, reflow each pin in turn whilst pulling the enameled wire under it to slightly bend the pin up. The pins disconnect from the pad gently and don't re-connect.

Repeat for other side.

Because you aren't pulling the pads up from the board, rather you're pressing down on them as the wire is gently pulled under each pin and through the joint in turn, so the pads don't get lifted...

Just sayin'
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Paul Barker

#40 Re: Changing a sm op amp.

Post by Paul Barker »

Thank you for the tip.