Thermal paste

Subjects that don't have their own home
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#1 Thermal paste

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I fix my transistors to the heatsink using thermal glue , specifically Loctite 315 . There used to be someone who sold it on eBay for £10 . Just tried to buy some it’s up to £58 or £108 .

Anybody know of a cheap retailer or good alternative.

Don’t want to drill/screw them
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: Thermal paste

Post by Nick »

RS have it on back order in September for £52.80
Farnell have it on back order for mid July but at £93.11
Rapid, 6th June, £52.30
https://www.vtech-smt.co.uk/loctite-315 ... kit-x-25ml seem to have it for £74.40

All for 25ml. 50-100 seems to be the going rate. Maybe worth asking Paul at NVA?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Thermal paste

Post by pre65 »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:57 pm
Don’t want to drill/screw them
Is that because your old chum Richard says so, or have YOU tried both ways and found a difference ?

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#4 Re: Thermal paste

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Have you tried putting an accurate hole in heat sink with one arm , smart arse
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: Thermal paste

Post by pre65 »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:24 pm Have you tried putting an accurate hole in heat sink with one arm , smart arse
Of course not, but up to now you have amazed us as to what you have done with one good arm.

Have you reached your limit ?

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: Thermal paste

Post by pre65 »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:24 pm Have you tried putting an accurate hole in heat sink with one arm , smart arse
I've been giving this some thought, and I think I could, using the tools I have at my disposal and a few seconds of help from a third party. Something a child or spouse could easily do quite safely.

The only things you may not have are a small drill press and a way of holding the heatsink to the drill table.

An M3 tap set and tapping drill/tap holder are quite cheap.

I can talk you through my methodology if necessary.

Edmund Burke

Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#7 Re: Thermal paste

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I have also thought about it , it’s keeping the heat sink still that’s the problem . Also tapping with one hand is a problem . All in all , paste is a lot simpler .

It looks like cheap 315 is at an end .

Alternatives ? On eBay there are lots of alternatives anybody know a good one ?
Nick
Site Admin

#8 Re: Thermal paste

Post by Nick »

pre65 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:14 pm Is that because your old chum Richard says so, or have YOU tried both ways and found a difference ?
At the time I remember that Richard regarded the glue as providing one part of the double insulating layer required for Class II

I would imagine drilling would require a lot more disassembly work instead of just using the thermal adhesive.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

#9 Re: Thermal paste

Post by Nick »

Having a quick look there is this

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/adhesives/1558320

In stock at £21.44. However it doesn't have the clever glass beads of the Loctite product that guarantees layer thickness.
ed
retired

#10 Re: Thermal paste

Post by ed »

Ha, missed this as I was out all day yesterday......but

Over the weekend Seb was given a PS4 but unfortunately it was overheating and the fan was making a terrible noise....so I took it apart, bit by bit, and I needed some heat paste to reassemble it.....looking through the bit box I came across some 2 part thermal glue, unopened.

It's marked 'Phobya' and I don't know why I bought it and when. I don't think I ever will use it cos I prefer to use sil-pads and bolts, and arctic silver on cpus.

I don't know how this stuff ages(I presume it's some kind of epoxy) but you're welcome to it if you want to take the risk. Looking through the packet it says on the side of one tube 'use 4 times the amount of black to the amount of the yellow'. I guess this might be why one tube has much less than the other.
thermal glue.jpg
thermal glue.jpg (54.5 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
anyway, your call.

edit:....
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Phobya-31073-2 ... B005EOB2HC
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#11 Re: Thermal paste

Post by Daniel Quinn »

That’s very kind . I managed to find some 315 in my tool box . The paste and the resin are about 3/4 full . They should do about 10 builds .

Ill need Some new paste eventually but I’ll read up on it before I say yes , I don’t want to take it off you if it’s no good . Thanks again
ed
retired

#12 Re: Thermal paste

Post by ed »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:52 pm Ill need Some new paste eventually but I’ll read up on it before I say yes , I don’t want to take it off you if it’s no good . Thanks again
no point taking it off me now, did you see the edit link in my post.....new from Amazon at £9.00
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be