DipTrace

We all start somewhere
ed
retired

#31 Re: DipTrace

Post by ed »

well done Simon looks like a good result...

I was impressed with your price and turnaround so I signed up with your supplier....

duly uploaded the gerbers and filled in all the details and it said £1.68 plus the £2.60 odd for the postage I selected...

went to the payment screen and selected paypal and the cost suddenly changed to £20 plus some pence....

mmmm

I emptied the basket, deleted the order and tried again....3 times in all with the same result....

I deleted the account and I'm off back to pcbway.....not a result for me...oh waily...and cos it's only 4 weeks to go, Bah humbug!!!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#32 Re: DipTrace

Post by simon »

That's a bummer ed. Sounds a bit like it reset itself to the DPD (IIRC) option when going to the basket perhaps? It did this to me - during the specification screen I selected the faster cheapest shipping, but when I went to checkout it had reset itself to the most expensive shipping and I had to reselect the cheaper shipping. IIRC.
ed
retired

#33 Re: DipTrace

Post by ed »

c'est la vie........

I just don't have the patience for that kind of stuff anymore..anyway I don't suppose they're much bothered by this kind of minimal business going somewhere else.....

pcbway charged me £9.50 so I lost £2.00 to get a more stress free transaction...we'll see how long it takes for delivery.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#34 Re: DipTrace

Post by simon »

I'm with you on the whole patience thing ed
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#35 Re: DipTrace

Post by simon »

I should probably start a new thread really but it seems a bit over the top. I've been playing with Eagle over the last three weeks - it's not as intuitive as DipTrace, and even though I've used AutoCAD for over 30 years it didn't help me; whilst Eagle has a similarish look to AutoCAD the functionality isn't quite the same. Eagle looks to be more powerful, but it's not easy to use without a mouse and just a laptop touchpad though!

I started with something simple - breakout boards for a selector and volume pot. PCB tags are a bit of a fiddle to solder wires too, especially the TKD 2CP-601 pot as the pins are very closely spaced. Eagle has lots of parts in its library, the biggest problem is finding the right one. I found a selector switch that looks to match the Lorlin I have (fingers crossed!) but I couldn't find anything with the pin spacing for the TKD pot so created my own part. This wasn't too difficult to do and is really powerful. Fingers crossed again it actually fits.

I added lots of solder pads, some text on the bottom and a couple of milling lines so I could split the single pcb up in to the two separate boards more easily. It looks alright at least.
Control amp rev 1 top.png
Control amp rev 1 top.png (87.37 KiB) Viewed 7050 times
Control amp rev 1 bottom.png
Control amp rev 1 bottom.png (56.71 KiB) Viewed 7050 times
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#36 Re: DipTrace

Post by simon »

I did wonder on the sanity of submitting the gerbers this close to Christmas but for a princely £6.65 I thought it was worth the risk! I'd be a bit surprised if it's with me for Christmas but it will be interesting to see just how long it does take.

BTW ed, JLCPCB does reset to a more expensive (and expeditious) shipping option when you go to the basket to checkout. After confirming delivery and billing addresses the next section is where you set the shipping option.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#37 Re: DipTrace

Post by simon »

Got an email at 3am this morning - the boards are made and packaged up awaiting pick up for shipping. If I'd paid for expensive couriering they'd have been with me on Monday probably. 25 75 chance they arrive before Christmas?
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#38 Re: DipTrace

Post by simon »

The 25% has it. Gerbers uploaded at 19:15 on the 14th December and the boards were delivered at 09:10 this morning, 23rd. 5 boards from China in just over 8 days at Christmas for £6.65. I find it a little tricky understanding who's making any money.

Or perhaps I'm just used to being rinsed of cash in this huge corporate world we live in, in the west?
20221223_102118.jpg
20221223_102118.jpg (139.7 KiB) Viewed 6793 times
Max N
Old Hand

#39 Re: DipTrace

Post by Max N »

I think I read somewhere that the Chinese govt pays the postage cost to make their exports Uber competitive
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#40 Re: DipTrace

Post by Paul Barker »

Max N wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:03 pm I think I read somewhere that the Chinese govt pays the postage cost to make their exports Uber competitive
When I was involved with solar pv the Chinese Gov paid a 20% top up same reason.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein