Owston meet, 21 & 22nd Oct '23

Subjects that don't have their own home
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#121 Re: Owston meet, 21 & 22nd Oct '23

Post by Mike H »

Trivial data — me and Tony had dinner in the hotel Friday evening, drop of vino bianco with beer chasers, I had the roast chicken type thing with asparagus and the round things turned out to be roast parsnips (cut in very thick slices), with 'seasonal vegetables' on the side, more parsnips, carrots, runner beans, rocket salad, and fries – this was in the restaurant section at Owston Hall Hotel. Never been in there before. Saturday morning breakfast was in the same room, by a menu, not the usual buffet. We both had eggs benedict. However Sunday breakfast was back in the usual place and buffet style. No poached eggs so I had scrambled with beans on toast and a sausage.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Tony Moore
Old Hand

#122 Re: Owston meet, 21 & 22nd Oct '23

Post by Tony Moore »

Got home too, after a leisurely drive back via the A628 and a stop off in Penistone for lunch. (Mainly because I've been past it many times but never walked around there - plus it has a silly name!) Nice place! :-)

Fab views over the Woodhead Pass - just a pity there's nowhere to stop to view it and take photos.

Thanks Steve for organizing once again, it was a very good day out.

My kit still works after the bashing around in the car so that's a plus. :-)

@MikeH, I seem to have one of your phono adapters still on my interconnect - shall I post if back to you? There's always some unintended exchange of ancillary bit at these things, would've been nice if it had been the optical phono cartridge... :P

Which, I have to say sounded amazing.

Thanks all for a great day/weekend.
Tony Moore
Old Hand

#123 Re: Owston meet, 21 & 22nd Oct '23

Post by Tony Moore »

Just in case anyone was interested, the music I played was this:

I actually played the wrong track, which is why I was concerned it was going on a bit long. :roll:

(However, it's all good!)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#124 Re: Owston meet, 21 & 22nd Oct '23

Post by Mike H »

Tony Moore wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:09 pm @MikeH, I seem to have one of your phono adapters still on my interconnect - shall I post if back to you? There's always some unintended exchange of ancillary bit at these things, would've been nice if it had been the optical phono cartridge... :P
I thought that's where it went. I'll PM you my address. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#125 Re: Owston meet, 21 & 22nd Oct '23

Post by Mike H »

Tony Moore wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:36 pm Just in case anyone was interested, the music I played was this:

I actually played the wrong track, which is why I was concerned it was going on a bit long. :roll:

(However, it's all good!)
That was indeed interesting.

Just for completeness, and if anyone cares :D my 4 tracks (4 because someone was leaving early so we did a quick round of one song each so he could hear all the systems), were –

BØRNS – 10,000 Emerald Pools
Sandy Denny & Thea Gilmore – Sailor
Jay Dee – Strange Funky Games And Things
808 State – Spanish Ice

Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#126 Re: Owston meet, 21 & 22nd Oct '23

Post by Ray P »

For reference, the tracks I played on my little system after lunch were:
  1. Peter Gabriel - 'Rythmn of the Heat' from the album 'New Blood'
  2. Christine and the Queens - 'Tilted' from the album 'Chaleur Humaine'
  3. Be-Bop Deluxe - 'Adeventures in a Yorkshire Landscape' from the album 'Axe Victim'
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
steve s
Shed dweller

#127 Re: Owston meet, 21 & 22nd Oct '23

Post by steve s »

I really enjoyed the day, and thanks to all those that brought kit, without that we would have nothing to talk about... except we had a later start and there was as much chatting and catching up as there was music
Made it a grest day though... thanks to dave for picking up the evening meal tab, much appreciated mate..
Let's see what next year brings ...
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Ray P

#128 Re: Owston meet, 21 & 22nd Oct '23

Post by Ray P »

steve s wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:03 am Let's see what next year brings ...
cross-fingers-emoji.gif
cross-fingers-emoji.gif (33.44 KiB) Viewed 3995 times
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#129 Re: Owston meet, 21 & 22nd Oct '23

Post by Mike H »

I'm getting the buzz for making new stuff! Bring it on!

Tony Moore
Old Hand

#130 Re: Owston meet, 21 & 22nd Oct '23

Post by Tony Moore »

Build an RTZ DAC! You know it makes sense. 8)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#131 Re: Owston meet, 21 & 22nd Oct '23

Post by Mike H »

That might be a step too complicated!

Ray P

#132 Re: Owston meet, 21 & 22nd Oct '23

Post by Ray P »

Mike H wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:51 pm I'm getting the buzz for making new stuff! Bring it on!
How about a simple DAC project Mike, I have an assembled 'Kubelik' board I can donate to start you off - the Kubelik sounds very nice and would only require you to add a module to feed it an i2s input signal and a suitable power supply.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/thre ... ts.375955/

Ray
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#133 Re: Owston meet, 21 & 22nd Oct '23

Post by Mike H »

Nope, I'm no good with SMD ... and you lost me at 'i2s' ... don't know much about digital ... :lol:

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#134 Re: Owston meet, 21 & 22nd Oct '23

Post by Mike H »

Ray P wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:40 pm How about a simple DAC project Mike, I have an assembled 'Kubelik' board I can donate to start you off - the Kubelik sounds very nice and would only require you to add a module to feed it an i2s input signal and a suitable power supply.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/thre ... ts.375955/

Ray
Looking at this in more detail, actually this may be possible, but it would have to be USB to I2S with isolation.

I have other projects on 'back burners' so it may not happen in too much of a hurry. :D

Ray P

#135 Re: Owston meet, 21 & 22nd Oct '23

Post by Ray P »

Mike H wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:51 am Looking at this in more detail, actually this may be possible, but it would have to be USB to I2S with isolation.
Mike, I have a spare Kubelik DAC with all the smd work done and I have tested it with a JLSounds USB to i2s board.

To make it work it requires a 20V supply and you would need to get yourself something like the JLSounds board, box it up and the job's a good'un.

http://jlsounds.com/i2soverusb.html