The Imagined Village

Share the music that moves you.......
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#1 The Imagined Village

Post by Scottmoose »

I don't know if any of you guys have run across this album yet. It was released about 18 months back. If you haven't, try this for a lineup: Simon Emmerson (founder of Afro-Celt Soundsystem), Shiela Chandra, Trans-Global Underground, Billy Bragg, Paul Weller, performance poet (should be poet laureate IMNSHO, if he didn't gag at the thought) Benjamin Zephaniah, and Martin Carthy with his daughter Eliza. It doesn't really get much better, does it?

Anyway, the Imagined Village is a sort of quasi reinterpretation and celebration of English folk music. So, we have traditional songs & performances, laced with Indian sitar, huge electronic synth & bass lines a la the Afro-Celts, African drums, the works. All recorded at Peter Gabriel's Real World studio, so you can imagine just how good the recording is. They've thrown everything at this project, and my God, they've come up with a gem. This is one of the best albums I own, period, and by a long way the best thing I've heard since Loreena McKennitt's last release. It's right up there in my all time top 5, and it's not going to be moving. It just gets better every time you play it. Not one single weak track, and the sheer variety is wonderful.

Highlight for me has got to be Tam Lyn Retold (track 3) mostly recited by Benjamin with electronic / synth backing & additional vocals by Eliza. Until she cuts loose about half way through with that downright ferocious fiddle she's known for. Stunning. Better still, Liza's finally achieved what she's been threatening to do for a few years, and matched her mother, Norma Waterson, as a vocalist. When I saw her a few months back, I suspected she had, but it was a small venue, so I couldn't be certain. No doubts left at all now. Same goes for the tracks she does with her dad, & a solo number. Martin always gives a terrific performance of course; his discordant soldier in Cold Haily Rainy night is a great touch & his guitar is as unique as ever. No wonder he's influenced so many people over the years. The modern troubadour.

Whatever, it's well worth a punt if you've even the slightest interest in folk / world music & don't get tied up in knots at the thought of such things performed with modern instruments & a mixture of musical styles. Best from the Womad shop, obviously, as, aside from being a great organisation, it comes with a free EP CD of alternative mixes (which aren't half bad at all) & weighs in at £9.99 inc. postage.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

Post by richardcooper2k »

thanks for the recommendation, i'm enjoying this one

not on the black stuff so its in the car

i should get a digital source sorted
SimonC
Old Hand

#3 Re: The Imagined Village

Post by SimonC »

Scottmoose wrote:I don't know if any of you guys have run across this album yet. It was released about 18 months back. If you haven't, try this for a lineup: Simon Emmerson (founder of Afro-Celt Soundsystem), Shiela Chandra, Trans-Global Underground, Billy Bragg, Paul Weller, performance poet (should be poet laureate IMNSHO, if he didn't gag at the thought) Benjamin Zephaniah, and Martin Carthy with his daughter Eliza. It doesn't really get much better, does it?
You forgot Chris Wood on vocals & fiddle as well... :wink: about the only big name folkie missing was one of the Lakemans' (doesn't matter which one, they all kick ass)

I caught them on BBC's coverage of the Cambridge Folk Festival and wondered how well it would come across in the studio with 17+ musicians all giving it their all. Also had a good interview with Martin about the band and his involvement in it.

Sounds like its one for the must buy list.

Simon C