T/S parameters valid for normal listening levels.

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
brig001
Old Hand

#31 Re: T/S parameters valid for normal listening levels.

Post by brig001 »

Good job it is a hypothetical speaker and nobody is building it then
Seriously though, many small bookshelf speakers are tuned to around 70Hz, so not ridiculous, unless, like you said, you like bass
rowuk
Old Hand

#32 Re: T/S parameters valid for normal listening levels.

Post by rowuk »

brig001 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:02 am Good job it is a hypothetical speaker and nobody is building it then
Seriously though, many small bookshelf speakers are tuned to around 70Hz, so not ridiculous, unless, like you said, you like bass
I was thinking that if we have even music without extremely powerful bass, what happens below reflex tuning is a mess. One workaround is an electrical high pass filter. A better solution would be a closed box that just smoothly rolls off.

I believe that the plethora of small bass reflex speakers exists because of the slightly richer boom/thud than with television or mobile phone speakers - not because of better sound quality. In my world, I have no demand for bass reflex tuning above say 35 Hz. If a subwoofer is planned, no satellite port is desirable.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#33 Re: T/S parameters valid for normal listening levels.

Post by Scottmoose »

brig001 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:02 am Good job it is a hypothetical speaker and nobody is building it then
Not ridiculous so much as nature of the beast -although it's usually a good idea to go easy with the old volume knob on LF heavy material & turn it down if you see some significant cone movement, as it's likely to be unloading. Unfortunately, most current compact drive units need tuning to relatively high frequencies out of necessity; that's what their characteristics demand. There are a few exceptions (the 5in Scan Revelators for instance, where you can get into the high 30s) but you have to go looking. Partly down to needing to get some sensitivity out of them, partly to keep costs reasonable as it takes quality motor & suspension design to do that properly, which doesn't come cheap. It's not ideal, but that's life.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com