Salad Bowl Speakers

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#46 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Ray P »

I have to work out some sort of stand arrangement and install some binding posts too.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#47 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by simon »

A tripod type arrangement (3 vertical legs for the bowls to sit on) might be easier than a quad perhaps? Or two Xes, one front and one back, so the speaker finds its level?
Ray P

#48 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Ray P »

simon wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:13 pm A tripod type arrangement (3 vertical legs for the bowls to sit on) might be easier than a quad perhaps? Or two Xes, one front and one back, so the speaker finds its level?
Hmmm, some interesting ideas Simon, cheers.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#49 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by simon »

Artistically, I quite like the juxtaposition of the vertical legs. The Xes might look a bit like an ale keg :-). I'm interested to see where you go Ray.

Edit - on reflection 4 legs rather than 3 would be a lot more stable I think.
Greg
Social outcast

#50 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Greg »

Devialet Phantom speakers are a similar shape. They have several support stand options. See the link for ideas.

https://www.devialet.com/en-gb/phantom- ... cessories/
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Ray P

#51 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Ray P »

Thanks chaps.
Ray P

#52 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Ray P »

I've glued on the veneer strips to hide the filler around the joins and have just applied the first coat of finish.

chris661
Shed dweller

#53 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by chris661 »

Looking excellent. Well done.
I'm surprised you haven't thrown the drivers in and had a listen - I know I wouldn't be able to resist.

Chris
Ray P

#54 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Ray P »

chris661 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:18 pm Looking excellent. Well done.
I'm surprised you haven't thrown the drivers in and had a listen - I know I wouldn't be able to resist.

Chris
Cheers Chris. I was planning to have a quick listen but then, before I knew what was happening, I was applying the finishing oil.

They're just bare inside at the moment, no lining or stuffing - any thoughts on that, particularly any lining you think might be good?
Last edited by Ray P on Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray P

#55 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Ray P »

Second coat appled - this thread is going to be like watching paint dry 😂
chris661
Shed dweller

#56 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by chris661 »

Ray P wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:17 pm Cheers Chris. I was planning to have a quick listen but then, before I knew what was happening, I was applying the finishing oil.

They're just bare inside at the moment, no lining or stuffing - any thoughts on that, particularly any lining you think might be good?
I picked up a big roll of recycled wool floor underlay a while ago, and have been using that. It's what I used to get the before/after impedance plots. NB - a few layers were needed in places, but I was looking for absorption down in the hundreds-of-Hz. A smaller project like this might only need one layer, but the best bet is to measure the impedance and see what's what. Try a sweep free-air, and then in the cabinet. Any new lumps or bumps are cabinet-related.

Chris
Ray P

#57 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Ray P »

chris661 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:48 am I picked up a big roll of recycled wool floor underlay a while ago, and have been using that.
Thanks Chris. I'll keep an eye out for something similar, shouldn't need much so maybe find some offcuts locally.

In the meantime, I''ve applied a few coats of the finishing oil and today I ordered some cable and banana plugs from AV.com - the 2.5mm version of the cable that was mentioned by Colin recently - so before I finish the finishing I'm hoping I'll be able to have that initial listen, sans lining/stuffing over the weekend.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#58 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Are you going to have them sticking up in the air, Ray, or just let them roll around on their sides!?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Ray P

#59 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Ray P »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:25 pm Are you going to have them sticking up in the air, Ray, or just let them roll around on their sides!?
I thought they might be good for a bit of rocking and rolling Andrew.

I'll sort out some sort of stand or feet arrangement down the line.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#60 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I like that. I did a pair of Wilkos bowls speakers and they certainly did roll about. Some big dowelling did the trick. Idea taken from fostex tweeters!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.