Salad Bowl Speakers

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#61 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Ray P »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:03 pm Idea taken from fostex tweeters!
Yeah, I've already picked up on that as a possible approach and it's close to the top of my list...

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#62 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Simples innit!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

#63 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Nick »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:43 am Simples innit!
If you are trying to support cylinders on other cylinders yes. But that's not the case for Ray.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#64 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by simon »

No, it isn't Ray's case. I suspect they probably would find their equilibrium, but the weight of the driver might mean they'd be tilted downwards.

I still think a short four vertical legged "crown" stand to sit them on, perhaps with a horizontal cruciform to join the legs together would look quite interesting. Preferably in walnut :-D
Nick
Site Admin

#65 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Nick »

Depends on what its going to be sitting on. Maybe some of these:

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey

#66 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Try it and see. I used 'poles' as in broom handle dowels and a goodly amount of blu-tack. I didn't think they were worth the effort and never finished them spit and French polish or whatever. The speakers had an undesirably large footprint, imho si weren't worth pursuing.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Ray P

#67 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Ray P »

To start with It'll be pretty much like Nik's bean bag suggestion but I'll worry about a more permanent type arrangement when I've had a listen. I think I could make the dowel feet approach work because there is about 5cms of the 'barrel' where the shapes are tubular, but would need something to stop them rocking.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#68 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Mike H »

Tripod arragement. :?:

But yups, looking stonking. :thumbleft:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ray P

#69 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Ray P »

I've lost count of the number of applications of Finishing oil, followed by a rub-down with very fine wire wool - the finish is by no means perfect as there are some scratches in the wood still visible, but I'm happy with it. I'll leave it for a few days to fully harden now and will aim to have an initial listen next weekend.

Ray P

#70 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Ray P »

I had a first listen this afternoon. I've not done anything regarding lining or stuffing them so far, I just wanted to get a first taste. I haven't sorted out any stands yet, so the best I could do was prop them on the sofa in the spare room. I had to sit on the floor, which was the right height, but perhaps a little closer than ideal, but I could show off my Christmas present slippers!

I drove them with the same set-up that I used with the little Ariston speakers at Owston - smartphone source, Noir HPA as pre-amp and the 25W 'Abraxalito' chip amp.

Straight off, they're streets ahead of the Aristons! They don't go very low but what bass there is is quick and tuneful, but what stands out is the imaging, lots of detail in all the elements of the music and each in its own space. The sound is very crisp and clean, albeit there is some hardness, that I'm sure can be addressed.

I guess the next step is to measure them and then try to tune the response/sound and experiment with positioning, as I'm sure there is more to come from them - I'll likely need some help/advice with that.

I think I'll have to invest some more time with the finishing too, as the scratches I can see are grating a bit.

BTW, speaker cable is https://www.av.com/Cables/Fisual-S-Flex ... 4wLjAuMA.., which I bought after a recent recommendation from Colin for the Fisual cables.
stevieg
mardy old git

#71 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by stevieg »

I used 3 blank dice on a board to support the speaker bought them in a craft/DIY store. Plus a bit of blutak to keep them in position. I have no idea why you would normally want blank dice.
Cheers Steve
In single malt we trust.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#72 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Dave the bass »

Awethumne slippers Ray, they're 'pop down the pub/shop-able' too! :)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ray P

#73 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Ray P »

Dave the bass wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:35 pm Awethumne slippers Ray, they're 'pop down the pub/shop-able' too! :)
S'funny, we used to laugh at my dad getting slippers for Christmas, then you find out you've become him! They're very comfortable though, memory foam soles and stuff.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#74 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Mike H »

:lol:
Dave the bass wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:35 pm Awethumne slippers Ray, they're 'pop down the pub/shop-able' too! :)
Moccasins?

You have a sofa in your spare room? :shock:

Glad they turned out well. :thumbright:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Paul Barker

#75 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Paul Barker »

The socks are wrong for the slippers though.

I only got one pair of socks this year.. Am I supposed to buy my own now or somat?

I hope you like salad Ray? If this speaker project goes same way most of mine have… enjoy youre salads.

Years later and 10’s 20’s no probably 30’s of thousands spent on this so called hobby with my best sound ever, Ive decided is because of the room it was in. Could have saved me a fortune knowing that in advance.

All I have to show for it is a pair of socks that dont clash with my imaginary slippers. Noone left to buy them, thats noone in their right mind.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein