Road vehicle fires.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#91 Re: Road vehicle fires.

Post by Nick »

Maybe.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#92 Re: Road vehicle fires.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Newsflash . You tuber exists for genuine concern and not money .

In another story , Logan Paul and KSI are to fight for free .
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#93 Re: Road vehicle fires.

Post by pre65 »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:45 pm
Newsflash . You tuber exists for genuine concern and not money .
You can believe what you like, that's your prerogative.

There are many (I would think) who do it just for pleasure, like Mike H of this parish.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#94 Re: Road vehicle fires.

Post by Nick »

Ignoring the true Scotsman who is peering around the door.

But in the case of a channel called "Geoff Buys Cars" who has a domain geoffbuyscars.com where he sells tee-shirts stickers and mugs. I don't think the comparison to Mike is entirely applicable.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#95 Re: Road vehicle fires.

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:50 pm Ignoring the true Scotsman who is peering around the door.

But in the case of a channel called "Geoff Buys Cars" who has a domain geoffbuyscars.com where he sells tee-shirts stickers and mugs. I don't think the comparison to Mike is entirely applicable.
Probably not in that case.

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

#96 Re: Road vehicle fires.

Post by Nick »

pre65 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:03 pm
Nick wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:50 pm Ignoring the true Scotsman who is peering around the door.

Which happens to be the one I was talking about.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#97 Re: Road vehicle fires.

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:06 pm
pre65 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:03 pm

Which happens to be the one I was talking about.
I was speaking more generally.

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

#98 Re: Road vehicle fires.

Post by Nick »

pre65 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:17 pm I was speaking more generally.
No you weren't, you said:
That may well be true, or maybe he has a genuine concern and want's to spread the word.
Your use of "he" clearly shows at least at that point (#88) you were referring to the same single content provider I was talking about.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#99 Re: Road vehicle fires.

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:46 pm
pre65 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:17 pm I was speaking more generally.
No you weren't, you said:
That may well be true, or maybe he has a genuine concern and want's to spread the word.
Your use of "he" clearly shows at least at that point (#88) you were referring to the same single content provider I was talking about.
Maybe the stress of dealing with a 96 year old mum who might drop down dead at any moment has interfered with my reasoning. :(

Edmund Burke

Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#100 Re: Road vehicle fires.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Whilst I'm sure everyone is sympathetic , a forum would be impossible if we all had to second guess motives/reasons for people's comments.

If you are preoccupied with your mother , I would suggest reading not posting .

I have frequently been pissed and somewhat emotive when posting , I find it best to berate myself not others for what I've written
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#101 Re: Road vehicle fires.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Know watcher mean.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#102 Re: Road vehicle fires.

Post by vinylnvalves »

Mike H wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:02 pm
vinylnvalves wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:50 pm I don’t understand why the EV batteries are not encased in fire proof box, as battery fires still need air to burn. The batteries don’t need to breathe as far as I am aware.
Lithium-ion battery fires generate their own oxygen and can be very difficult to extinguish
FPA - why-do-lithium-ion-batteries-catch-fire
I stand corrected, I must have been half asleep when I went to recent meeting about electric planes, where they were selling the merits of a new battery from a safety perspective … which wasn’t a lithium based one :shock:
Speaking to a colleague who is ex JLR - he enlighten me a few things. Electric cars designed from the ground up have battery cooling at the heart of the design. The worst UK car manufacturer just crams a battery into an existing chassis. Hybrids are worse as the battery is just stuck in the engine bay. Also the second generation of lithium batteries are more stable.

Maybe he’s biased against JLR but he would buy an MG EV car, if he had to buy an EV. ( he does drive a 1960’s VW camper van)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#103 Re: Road vehicle fires.

Post by Mike H »

There's a chap I follow on YouTube, sort of, I mean I've watched some of his vids altho they tend to be long, and click-bait, his channel is The Macmaster, and originally (it seems) he mostly did reviews of cafes, restaurant and fish and chip shops, he seems to travel around a lot – anyroad, he also has a Porsche Taycan (for 2 years) and likes to post videos about why he hates it so much and EV's in general. I watched his last vid, made only a couple of days ago, the big issue now is, insurance companies either don't want to insure EV's, or if they do, stupid money. Last year cost him $600 and something (say 640, something like that), this year's renewal it's nearly $3,500. Plenty of newspaper articles on the subject, from getting a letter from your insurer saying sorry we no longer insure EV's, to a chap, can't remember where he lives but a large town or city, premium's gone up to over £5,000. Plus, a new phenomenon has appeared – 'charge rage' – some service areas are having to employ 'marshalls' to 'police' charging points because of fights breaking out between EV owners waiting in queues to get onto a charger. :shock:

And now the PM has postponed the cut-off date, his Taycan has depreciated to £68,000 (I think he said).

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Neal
Shed dweller

#104 Re: Road vehicle fires.

Post by Neal »

68k oh dear never mind…I posted about the insurance industry push back in the other thread and i’m getting feedback from some EV owning friends who are starting to mention the high renewal premiums.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#105 Re: Road vehicle fires.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Taycan EV are 80 -90 grand bran new.., depending on features

So if I worth 68 now , that's better depreciation than a petrol vehicle

As for insurance , earlier we established on average £200-£300 more expensive which is offset in fuel savings.