#31 Re: The cloud.

Post by jack »

Synology FTW...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#32 Re: The cloud.

Post by Mike H »

rowuk wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:47 am Regardless of the details, as Nick stated, the cloud is just someone elses computer at the other end of an IP pipe. That means that they ultimately call the shots about everything that happens with that remote computer - regardless whether it is access to a service, a platform or infrastructure.

I too prefer to keep my media local on MY computers as well as organising and performing the backups. My wife does enjoy iCloud for making all pictures and videos available to all of her devices.
Image this

I'm aware that I may be ignerunt about much of this sort of stuff, if that makes me one of the punters who abuse clouds, so be it :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#33 Re: The cloud.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Its not somebody else computer, the relationship between host and you is governed by a contract
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#34 Re: The cloud.

Post by Ali Tait »

jack wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:30 pmSynology FTW...
Yes, been looking at those. Had a Drobo for years which was no trouble until it was. Kaput. Found a cheap one from Cash Generator so I can extract the data as their software is proprietary, it works but one slot is dead so I need to buy another as I’ve no idea how long it’ll last..
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#35 Re: The cloud.

Post by jack »

Ali Tait wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:55 am
jack wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:30 pmSynology FTW...
Yes, been looking at those. Had a Drobo for years which was no trouble until it was. Kaput. Found a cheap one from Cash Generator so I can extract the data as their software is proprietary, it works but one slot is dead so I need to buy another as I’ve no idea how long it’ll last..
Not cheap, but very very good. I use a pair of Synology DS224+ each with 8TB mirrored between two buildings. The mirroring works both ways - all our devices back up to one of them and that then automatically is mirrored to the second. You can do this between two boxes over the internet too.

Many good things about Synology boxes, highly reliable and they all run exactly the same software, so managing them is dead easy.
Last edited by jack on Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Site Admin

#36 Re: The cloud.

Post by Nick »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:21 am Its not somebody else computer, the relationship between host and you is governed by a contract
That's just stupid, when I get on a bus I have a contract for that journey with the bus operator, doesn't make it my bus at any part of that journey. Do you think you in any way own google when you do a web search?

Its not just one thing, it may actually be your computer hosted in a remote site or it may be a service that you make use of on one or more processors across a net of the things. That's why the description Jack gave was so complex, its a complex subject. That's why I said for most situations and users, regard it as someone else's computer. Not that it is someones else's, or not, but if you consider it that way you will not be far wrong.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#37 Re: The cloud.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Not quite sure what point you are attempting to make. But I repeat the relationship between host and you is governed by a contract for which you have legal recourse if it goes wrong .

So if I edit your post, what legal recourse do you have?
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#38 Re: The cloud.

Post by jack »

Just to be clear: A CLOUD SERVICE IS NOT NECESSARILY OWNED OR EVEN RUN BY A THIRD PARTY!!! Saying "computer at the end of an IP link" is a poor analogy as it's a very limited subset of the genre and just promulgates misconceptions.

Lots of companies and some individuals own and run their own cloud services. It's not tricky to do. For private setups, have a look at the various open cloud projects.

Also, the Synology NAS stuff will implement private cloud for you as standard. Most decent NAS systems appear to have some private cloud capability and, even if they don't, you can probably add one of the open cloud projects to them as they all run some variety of Linux.
Last edited by jack on Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#39 Re: The cloud.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

None , we don't have a contract. Your effectively a dictator .
Nick
Site Admin

#40 Re: The cloud.

Post by Nick »

Well, you did accept a EULA when you joined, so there is that. But this is running on a remote server, so is a cloud service by anyone's definition but yours.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#41 Re: The cloud.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I'm not the payee , you are . I should imagine you have a contractual relationship , which can be legally enforced .
Nick
Site Admin

#42 Re: The cloud.

Post by Nick »

And with a small change to a DNS record it can be running on a server sitting under my desk in 10 minutes and you would not know any difference. So I really don't see your point. The fact that I pay for the server that this is currently hosted on is irreverent to my providing the forum running on a web server that I installed on the copy of Linux I installed on that server.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#43 Re: The cloud.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

You have proven my point about the cloud . 😜
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#44 Re: The cloud.

Post by jack »

I'm not a contract lawyer, however my understanding is that by agreeing to the EULA, you are agreeing to certain norms of behaviour, e.g. to not be abusive, and that may be regarded as a non-monetary consideration.

Thus a contract is in place between the owner of the forum, Nick, and the end user as there is 1. An offer of service (use of the forum), 2. Acceptance by the end user (agreeing to the EULA), 3. Consideration (non-monetary in this case), and 4. The intent to enter a legal contract.

Thus, you have a contract with Nick, however Nick, if he's using a third-party supplier, has a completely separate contract with his cloud provider.

Both parties must be mentally capable too, so on that point, my argument may fail :)
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#45 Re: The cloud.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

You are wrong.

I have no legally enforceable agreement with nick , he can do what he wants and I would have no recourse . That isn't a contract no matter how much you stretch the definition.